Inside or out on a warmish night?

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello all, I have 2 desert tortoises about 6 years old who have come out of hibernation healthy and happy with the help from advice from trusted forum members, thank you! I’ve read up on this before but never have been totally sure- if today was hot in the 90’s and tonight gets down to 66 degrees, is it ok to leave them in their outdoor enclosure over night? Do people generally let their tortoise/s live outdoors 100% of the time or bring them inside at night, and depending on what circumstance s? I usually bring them in at night. There is a cover on the enclosure with chicken wire. The only thing that has gotten inside is a small bird. I worry about slugs, widow spiders, moths, dampness, bugs, etc. I need to separate them but haven’t figured that out yet after one attempt. They are sleeping on opposite sides of the enclosure now, usually I find them together. They haven’t fought but I see slight signs of territorial behavior I once thought was sibling friendship. I have 2 Heating mats that are not out there now because I used to use them in 2 loft like boxes I attached ramps to, but Free, the quicker one and who, if he sees me he’ll dart over and beg to be taken out, for some reason started climbing over the wooden rail to jump off over and over, landing on his back until I finally took the Ramps out. Anyhow that was a long question for a short one. Thank you!
Tanya

Attachments

• E83D2FCB-DB63-420C-8905-409B99BD464F.jpeg
    E83D2FCB-DB63-420C-8905-409B99BD464F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, Tanya!

Chug was outside all summer and well into fall. Every night he would sleep in one of his two burrows. He'd get up in the morning, walk around, eat, and do tort things.
Then back to his burrow til evening.

He would lay in his entryway and watch the sun. As soon as shade hit his doorway, he'd come out and be a tort til bedtime.

I would leave yours out as long as it's in the 60's.

We'll see if anybody else chimes in.

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Hello, Tanya!

Chug was outside all summer and well into fall. Every night he would sleep in one of his two burrows. He'd get up in the morning, walk around, eat, and do tort things.
Then back to his burrow til evening.

He would lay in his entryway and watch the sun. As soon as shade hit his doorway, he'd come out and be a tort til bedtime.

I would leave yours out as long as it's in the 60's.

We'll see if anybody else chimes in.

Hi Karen!
Where they go now is under what used to be where they’d sleep/rest before I take them inside. Their enclosure has dirt as the ground and under there they’ve tried to dig but can’t get past to pebbles and rocks under the dirt. To make it more burrow like should I put hay or .. coco coir or something they could semi cover up with?. Sometimes they are together and the other night I found one wedged on top of the other.. or they both end up in a clay pot but don’t fit so one is crammed in and the other kind of half in the opening. Tonight I was happy to find them at opposite ends. I hate brown and black widows but maybe that’s me being human and not a tortoise. The baby tortoise I still bring in at night. And I should be asleep by now. Thanks and stay healthy!
Tanya

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Torts really love to dig! I think they would be appreciative if you dumped something. You could use loose dirt or coco coir. Don't use hay...it molds fast if gotten wet.