InSight Landing on mars happens soon.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
The InSight has successfully landed. Next will be the deployment of the rover. We will be getting so much new information from this. My earlobes tingle with anticipation.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
We’ve already gotten our first photo. It’ll take some crunching on my side, but I’ll try to post it. Meanwhile, here is Time magazines epost.

Here Is the First Picture from NASA's Mars InSight Lander
Here Is the First Picture from NASA's Mars InSight Lander
Jeffrey Kluger
It isn’t pretty—nothing at all like the gallery of pictures that are sure to come. But just moments after landing—plus the eight minutes and seven seconds it takes for a radio signal to travel from Mars to Earth—the InSight spacecraft beamed home its first image from the Martian surface. InSight’s own Twitter feed explained the poor quality of the image: “My lens cover isn’t off yet, but I had to show you a first look at my new home.”
The dark flecks in the image that resemble nothing so much as bacteria on a microscope slide are dust and debris kicked up by the lander’s engines, clinging to the semi-transparent cover. A bit of the spacecraft itself—likely one of its three foot-pads—is visible at the center bottom. InSight is equipped with two cameras: the one that produced this picture is on the main body of the spacecraft and captures fish-eye images, which maximizes the field of vision for close-up work. The other, mounted on the robotic arm, is the one that will provide full-color panoramic imagery with a field of view of about 45 degrees.
THE BRIEF
The 12 top stories you need to know right now, chosen by TIME's editors
What counts most at the moment though is that InSight is precisely where it’s supposed to be—on Mars’s Elysium plain, just north of the equator; and that it’s there precisely when it was supposed to be—205 days after its May 5 launch. The spacecraft covered 270 million miles from the coast of Florida to get where it was going and operated flawlessly throughout. America isn’t good at everything; but we’re very, very good at Mars—and that is, and very much ought to be, a source of national uplift.
Visit TIME.com

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Cool stuff ... it gets all of my nerdery going!

Jamie

Mine as well. My uncle was a flight control analyst at JPL. He worked on slingshot controls to speed satellites up while saving on the carrying of extra fuel. He had given my grandmother a photo of earth rise on Mars.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I’ve already been told there will be nothing there because the Bible doesn’t mention it.
Wait, what? The Bible doesn’t mention microwave ovens yet this logic doesn’t go in that direction yet.
According to the flat-earthers, we've never developed the technology to launch anything beyond the Van Allen Belt. And the earth is shaped kinda like a birdbath. Lol

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I’ll head to Mars on the next flight that requires a tortoise habitat tender. The soviets, sometime in the 60’s launched a russian tortoise to check on body health after launching.

That was actually the first animal in space. The tortoise has that distinction!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
My favorite question asked at the first astronaut lose is, “What do you see?” No one ever calmly responds, “Lots of stars.” “What is your location?” “Ummm, space, ya know?”

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I’ll head to Mars on the next flight that requires a tortoise habitat tender. The soviets, sometime in the 60’s launched a russian tortoise to check on body health after launching.
Wow! I didn't know about the Russian tortoises in space but I just looked it up. So cool! Glad you shared that :)

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Two tortoises and a variety of insects were the first inhabitants of Earth to circle the Moon, on the 1968 Zond 5 mission.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zond_5
I was something like 7 years old at the time and I’m gonna use this as the reason for me getting into tortoises. LOL
It certainly will help support my argument that tortoises are the coolest animals. Torts in spaaaaace! I'm re-imagining the muppets pigs in space... but better!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Zond 5, a member of the Soviet Zond program, was an unmanned spacecraft that in September 1968 became the second ship to travel to and circle the Moon, and the first to return safely to Earth. Although unmanned, Zond 5 carried the first Earthlings to reach the Moon, including two tortoises, mealworms, wine flies, plants, and other lifeforms, and was also the first to return Moon travelers safely to Earth.

Zond 5
IMG_4021.jpg
Zond 5
Names
Soyuz 7K-L1 s/n 9
Mission type
Lunar flyby
Spacecraft test
Operator
OKB-1
COSPAR ID
1968-076A