Inspiring them to mate my Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
What can I give my Russians tortoises to trigger them into breeding? Is there a herbal or a food which possibly I can give them to at least stimulate them into breeding?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
How big are your Russians, straight carapace length (SCL)?

Danny

grogansilver

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
How big are your Russians, straight carapace length (SCL)?

Danny
had to measure! the male is 4 inches and my female is 5 inches.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The only thing you can do is feed them well with plenty of supplements. :D Neither one are big enough yet ;) The male needs to be about 5 inches and the female 6 inches, so you have a little ways to go before you get eggs. :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anthony:

Male Russian tortoises get the inspiration all on their own. You won't have to worry about it when he's old enough.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Once large enough to begin breeding, their inspiration to breed will come from their environment, whether that's a totally controlled one indoors or a natural one outdoors. Light duration and intensity along with temperature and some other minor factors will inspire them to breed. The male may relentlessly attempt to breed the female but it's not a "yes" until she says it's "yes"! When this does start to take place keep a very close eye on them. Males have been known to pursue females to the point of physical injury and increased stress levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.