Interested in African Spurred Tortoise.

Lopsterforlife

Hi! I am brand new to this site, and am interested in learning about tortoises. More specifically Sulcatas. I run a therapeutic farm, and and interested in introducing a large tortoise. I guess my first question would be; Is that even a good idea? The idea is to have all 5 classifications of vertebrates, and the only thing we are missing is a reptile. I have 35 acres, so he/she would have lots of space and grazing area. I also live in Colorado, and it can get very cold, and very hot here. Is that ok for them? I want to learn as much as possible before even considering actually getting one. Thank you so much in advance for all of your help!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

For the sake of non-confusion, I've changed your subject line from "...spur thighed tortoise.." to "...African spurred tortoise." The 'spur thigh' is referring to a Greek tortoise.

Please read the "important threads" at the top of the sulcata section. We have some Colorado members who have the bigger tortoises, so I think it is doable. But you'll need some sort of heated barn or shed for the cold months.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. Do you plan on raising one yourself or adopting an adult?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Lopsterforlife,
I think it's a great idea. Sulcata tortoises, (African Spurred tortoise) can thrive in Colorado provided you make the needed allowances needed for a sulcata. Welcome to the forum, ask questions, and learn.

argus333

5 Year Member
Right now here in n j it's 25 and sulcatas are outside with heated shed and greenhouse. Been coldest winter I can remember with some nights at 0 or -#s. it's not really a big deal just have to be on top of weather and make sure shed is super insulated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It can be done, but a temperate species that can be housed indoors over winter would make you life much easier. You've got to decide how much time, effort and money you want to put into over-wintering a giant tortoise that needs lots of space to roam.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Here's one of mine from Friday. It was about 25°f out. The heated shed in the background is 83°f. She was out for about 15 min. then headed back in. ImageUploadedByTortForum1391884001.122149.jpg
And like Tom said, you need to figure long term expense like electric and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Cowboy_Ken said:
Here's one of mine from Friday. It was about 25°f out. The heated shed in the background is 83°f. She was out for about 15 min. then headed back in.
And like Tom said, you need to figure long term expense like electric and all that.

By looking at your photo, I love the California weather. So no complain at 55 F.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
About once every 5-8 years we get “dumped" on like this. Normal for us is 1-2" that goes away after a day or so. Well, that and lots of rain.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Cowboy_Ken said:
Here's one of mine from Friday. It was about 25°f out. The heated shed in the background is 83°f. She was out for about 15 min. then headed back in.

Hi Ken, I'm just curious about feeding your tortoise in that weather and how long does it last?. Do you put food everyday inside the shed? How about water?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Cowboy_Ken said:
About once every 5-8 years we get “dumped" on like this. Normal for us is 1-2" that goes away after a day or so. Well, that and lots of rain.

Nothing wrong with lots of rain, so the weed will grow and that mean free feeds for the torts.

We (California) are having very little rain this year(7~10% of avg/year) We are in trouble, send some of your rain down here Please.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Evy,
This type of storm only hits us once every 5-8 years. Normal winter is 1-2" of snow gone the next day. We do get lots of rain but temps are about 50-55°f in the winter. I didn't worry about feeding during this storm. In rougher weather areas, I'd have a larger heated shed for them that I could feed good quality grass hay.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Good to know Ken. Thank you for your reply [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

[TURTLE]Penny a lovely sulcata!