Interested in boxes, but need some basic info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utsukushii

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, KY
I'm looking for a non-aquatic species of turtle that doesn't hibernate. A "beginner" species preferably. Any advice? Are there any species that don't require a ton of humidity? A species that isn't territorial would be a plus, but not required by any means.

I know some people out there mix different species in the same enclosure. Would any species be able to live with my Red Foot tortoise safely?

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Utsukushii said:
I'm looking for a non-aquatic species of turtle that doesn't hibernate. A "beginner" species preferably. Any advice? Are there any species that don't require a ton of humidity? A species that isn't territorial would be a plus, but not required by any means.

I know some people out there mix different species in the same enclosure. Would any species be able to live with my Red Foot tortoise safely?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum! Your post hits on a lot of topics! There are species that don't require a ton of humidity. Check out the testudos or 'Greek' group. Pick up a copy of the the Practical Encyclopedia of Keeping and Breeding Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles, A.C. Highfield, Carapace Press. It's a little dated but it has good descriptions of species. I still rely on it a lot! Additionally, if you are a new keeper, the Redfoot Manual by Mike Pingleton, Art Gecko Publishing, is a great reference.

And finally, my opinion, mixing species is a no-no. You never know what one may have an be immune to. It may sicken another. Additionally, most mixing of species cannot provide the two environmental requirements both need to thrive.

Hope this helps!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I usually suggest a russian greek or herman for beginners, they stay small are easy to learn how to take care of, and they can be kept out of hibernation if needed, or desired. The mahority of tortoises that don't hibernate are usually expensive (pancake tortoise) Or they get large ( sulcata leopard and red foots) Feel free to ask more questions.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No species of tortoise HAS to hibernate. I keep my Russians awake year round.

As to what could live with your Redfoot - another Redfoot could ;) Even then though you have to watch for aggression issues.

All tortoises are going to require some humidity and constant access to water. As most age they can deal with a little bit drier conditions.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I kept my RF with my boxie until they were three years old. I got them both as hatchlings, and they both needed the same environmental requirements. I also know of other people who keep RF's with boxies. I have a little year old Cherry Head now who is outside with my year old Three Toed. I would never put them together unless they were both CB and the same age and/or size. Everyone does things differently. This is what works for me. When they come inside for the Winter they each have their own vivarium.

Status
Not open for further replies.