1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Interesting Article: Scientists figure out why female turtles are born at higher temperatures

Discussion in 'Tortoise and Turtle Articles' started by keepergale, Aug 2, 2016.

1. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Good read, thanks.
    As for climate change. I don't see where some of you don't think it's something to worry about. It's a human/man made climate change going on. Not a natural, Mother Nature, what/however you want to call it, one. Will wild life still be able to adapt and survive? Who knows, sure hope so. But when the climate is changing due to so much crap/poisons/garbage going into our atmosphere, heck, into our everything, oceans, etc, it sure makes me worry.
    Pearly, Cathie G, Wdt77 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cowboy_Ken

Cowboy_Ken Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
    Thanks for posting this. I just today had this come across my desk, almost one year old!!! Sarah does some wonderful work and needs to be honored more often than she is. Again, I thank you.
    Cathie G likes this.
  3. xirxes

xirxes Active Member

I despise when a post about a scientific finding imbues the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    Cathie G and Toddrickfl1 like this.
  4. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    I read this article and was recently seeing it on the news and it kind of relates to me. I 've recently read that boy box turtles have red eyes and the girls have brown eyes. If this is actually true...I either have a red eyed girl or a boy that can lay eggs. My question is: does temperature also cause a rare color morph?
  5. Wdt77

Wdt77 New Member

West Michigan
    As others have stated the climate has always changed in the past. However the rate of change was much slower which enabled the animals to evolve to succeed in the new climate conditions. The rate of change currently occurring is at a much faster pace that many animals can’t evolve fast enough to succeed in.
    Cathie G likes this.
  6. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    This is more a guide than a hard fast rule. Also, some males' eyes get redder when they are in breeding mode.
    Cathie G likes this.
  7. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
  8. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    If I live to 2030, which is really possible because I'm only 65, my grandchildren and my sons will be affected. That's not even mentioning the affect it's been having on the animals all along. The pcbs etc...was I seeing wrong on the news this morning that by 2030 there's going to be some major changes? I hope for the animals too. I did see recently that the last wild galopigus died but there is captive thriving...thanks to dedicated people.
  9. mark1

mark1 Well-Known Member

ohio
  10. William Lee Kohler

William Lee Kohler Active Member

Eugene, OR
    One has to wonder where your information comes from that these changes are happening at a faster pace? And the liberal biased media and bought off so called climate "scientists" do not count.
  11. Wdt77

Wdt77 New Member

West Michigan
    Lol good one
  12. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    Sorry Yvonne...I was only wondering if Daisy May's eye color could be caused by a drop in temperature when she was forming in her egg....and I have another question...Would a box turtle waste her bodies resources to lay unfertlized eggs? I really thank all of you for being patient with me. I like to learn but really Daisy May and Saphire are always just my beloved pets. Thanks.
  13. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    I agree God does command it. I think He gave me a gift by controlling the weather and temperature however she was born. My little girl box turtle has red eyes but...if she had brown eyes she would still be my precocious Daisy May. What is even more interesting is the fact that my grandson had the compassion to rescue her. The former owners were just going to release her into the wild after being captive born and reared.