Interesting info...food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
Great thread.

I've seen the article before while searching for information FROM South Africa ABOUT South African tortoises. Its about the only article I've found unfortunately. While stylistically it does come aross as journalistic work, and not that of an expert, I find it interesting how quickly many of us dismiss it.

The Good Doc Todd left me a little confused with his wording as well. I would've posted something to the effect of reptiles actually "running fevers" had yagyujubei not already done so. Its not like the doc to be insulting, but that really is how it comes across. Just goes to show how written communication can run astray.

You're right Neal, this work is right up my alley, I should dig more into it and research her sources. She is basically describing leopard tortoises as behaving exactly like I theorize they do, and not like our popular literature tells us.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Also suggesting they're somewhat aquatic...that might help with the pyramiding.
About the growth rate that she mentions; tortoises will grow fast, once they get to a certain age it seems they hit puberty and grow twice as fast. One of my leopards grew about 4 inches this last year, she's about 3 -4 years old. Maybe suggesting they grow slow at first then rapid is just relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.