1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Interesting Read for DT Caretakers

Discussion in 'Tortoise and Turtle Articles' started by CircleStarRanch, Aug 31, 2015.

1. CircleStarRanch

CircleStarRanch New Member

While researching various aspects of Sonoran Desert Tortoise caregiving, I came across this tidbit. It help clears some things up somewhat. In some cases it may change how we care for "Desert" Tortoises, depending on which species, Mohave (G. agassizii) or Sonoran (G. morafkai), Desert Tortoise we have. Check out this link for a good starting point if interested:

http://www.basinandrangewatch.org/Tortoise-Species.html

-Dutch
  2. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Interesting. I don't have this species, but still interesting.
    Thanks for posting.
  3. ascott

ascott Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Is a fun read...there are more current ones that further detail the the two..as well as how they have cross bred into hybrids and as such the forced captive care is remarkably similar. ?
  4. Country10

Country10 New Member

Another Debbie Downer reply. It was general info for those who do or do not have this type of DT.

Claims stated of so called hybrids are not backed up by any articles in your reply. Why am I not surprised,

How lame
  5. ascott

ascott Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Interesting, interesting in that THIS very article lays mention a couple of times to exactly what I referenced when speaking of hybrids...