Interesting reading regarding UV lighting..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
All around great information. The Reptile Lighting is a process, not a bulb article is a great primer for anyone not wanting to succumb to the "MVB, one bulb to rule them all" mindset.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
This article, combined with the 'Process, not a Bulb' article, is making me rethink my whole approach to lighting: http://www.megaray.co.uk/downloads/artificial-ultraviolet-exposure-chameleon.pdf

I am toying with the idea that it would be best to offer a low-level UVB tube all day, and balance it with a warm white bulb or a couple of low wattage incandescent bulbs to get a good blend of true white light and even UVB coverage- WITHOUT the intensity we so often end up with. Turing the non-UV light on first and off last would also help simulate dawn and dusk- while saving the UVB a little as well.

Then, I would use substrate heating ropes (which I already use) combined with ceramic heaters to provide proper heating without a overly hot or bright 'hot spot'. A heating gradient would still happen due to how I space the bulbs and cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.