internal struggles

baldegale

ive been struggling a lot recently with depression to the point of basically not leaving my bed. i love all my pets but i havent been able to take proper care of my tort by any means. not keeping his humidity up as i should, sometimes going a week+ without feeding and soaking etc. i feel horrible as a pet parent but i feel like stuck at the same time like theres nothing i can do. i wish there was someone on here close to me that i could give him to to get proper care and keep in contact with until im better. i love him to pieces but i know its not right of me. its better for him to go to someone else and that kills me.

does anyone else have these struggles?

MrMarg&me

Location (City and/or State)
Temecula California
Life is complicated and everyone goes through times when they feel overwhelmed. Depression is a serious condition. Animals we share our lives with depend on us to make responsible choices for their well being. If you are finding it hard to even properly care for yourself it would be huge to have to care for other beings. Please seek help.

baldegale

Life is complicated and everyone goes through times when they feel overwhelmed. Depression is a serious condition. Animals we share our lives with depend on us to make responsible choices for their well being. If you are finding it hard to even properly care for yourself it would be huge to have to care for other beings. Please seek help.

im trying to, i know its selfish entirely but im beyond attached. in the aspect of its hard to
let go and i still want to see him again. i mean ive had him for 4-5 years. i dont want him to be gone forever. i just dont think theres anyone that lives close to me on the forums.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
southern tennessee, about 20 miles from the alabama border. 1.5 hours from nashville, 2 hours from Birmingham AL
Oh boy...no where near me. But even though we're in SoCal, we own 24 acres off I 75 near Athens TN. We planned to retire there...God had other plans for us. [emoji16]

Northern California
Its an interesting issue. I myself have experienced something similar, but I'm lucky in living with others. I do know how much a pet can help, and I don't think its fair for either you or your tort to send him away, seeing as yo care for him so much. Perhaps a similar approach to that which is often used by those with mental health issues in relation to human family members, which is having a plan in place beforehand so that during an episode its not so bad. Maybe you could do something like grow plants in the enclosure that he can eat if you are unable to feed him or keep humidity orbs in the enclosure. I'm sure other people on the forum have dealt with this as well.

baldegale

Its an interesting issue. I myself have experienced something similar, but I'm lucky in living with others. I do know how much a pet can help, and I don't think its fair for either you or your tort to send him away, seeing as yo care for him so much. Perhaps a similar approach to that which is often used by those with mental health issues in relation to human family members, which is having a plan in place beforehand so that during an episode its not so bad. Maybe you could do something like grow plants in the enclosure that he can eat if you are unable to feed him or keep humidity orbs in the enclosure. I'm sure other people on the forum have dealt with this as well.

thats the thing, my parents arent really willing to help and theyre all i got here. if i ask them for help they immediately say i should get rid of all my animals and that i dont deserve them if i cant take care of them myself.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's my animals that get me through the bad times. They force me to get up, when staying in bed seems like a better option.

So nobody but the parents?

I know some of in here do foster, but can't think of anybody near you.

What kind of tortoise?

baldegale

It's my animals that get me through the bad times. They force me to get up, when staying in bed seems like a better option.

So nobody but the parents?

I know some of in here do foster, but can't think of anybody near you.

What kind of tortoise?

a redfoot.

and nobody but my parents. the only time they helped is when i went to ohio for a few months to get better when something like this happened 6 months ago

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Have you tried the advise above about setting the enclosure up, so daily care is... not sure what term to use... perhaps not as vitial while times are their worse?

baldegale

Have you tried the advise above about setting the enclosure up, so daily care is... not sure what term to use... perhaps not as vitial while times are their worse?

im going to soon but enclosure is quite small which i also feel bad about but im not allowed any bigger anymore. its 5’x2’ his old one was 8’x4’

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
im going to soon but enclosure is quite small which i also feel bad about but im not allowed any bigger anymore. its 5’x2’ his old one was 8’x4’

How big is he? With spring, can he live outside?

Bee62

Germany
also what are humidity orbs?
Hello, sorry to hear that you are feeling bad and have depressions. You need help ! From a doctor or psychiatrist. Please do something that they can help you.
And try to image that your animals need you. Try for them to get out of bed and feed them. Do it for your animals. Please !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's pretty hard for someone who has no people base, to get things done. This means it's all up to you. Caring for an animal that depends on you helps you pull yourself up and out of the depression. You have to force yourself to do the right thing. He needs you. Give him some of his favorite meal then just sit there an watch him. Relax and be calm. Do you have medication? Are you under a doctor's care? This is not the time for you to be alone. Talk to your doctor.

Last edited:

Bambam1989

East Texas
I am always surprised by how many people suffer from depression. I have been battling it for over a year now.
Having responsibilities helps motivate me but I also need to have someone to talk to(my husband) that understands.

Do you know what causes your depression? Sometimes it's a chemical embalance that medication can help. If there is other factors then you need to talk to a psychiatrist/therapist, it's important that your family also understands what your going through.
Depression is serious.

baldegale

How big is he? With spring, can he live outside?

hes 4-5 years old and about 6” i think. IMG_7938.JPG from the tip of my middle finger to the bottom of my palm is 7”. potentially yes that was the plan but i might have to go back to ohio for awhile until i get better and i dont know if my dad will build it for him and take care of him.

baldegale

I am always surprised by how many people suffer from depression. I have been battling it for over a year now.
Having responsibilities helps motivate me but I also need to have someone to talk to(my husband) that understands.

Do you know what causes your depression? Sometimes it's a chemical embalance that medication can help. If there is other factors then you need to talk to a psychiatrist/therapist, it's important that your family also understands what your going through.
Depression is serious.

It's pretty hard for someone who has no people base, to get things done. This means it's all up to you. Caring for an animal that depends on you helps you pull yourself up and out of the depression. You have to force yourself to do the right thing. He needs you. Give him some of his favorite meal then just sit there an watch him. Relax and be calm. Do you have medication? Are you under a doctor's care? This is not the time for you to be alone. Talk to your doctor.

i have been to a doctor and was on prozac for about 7 weeks but it just made me feel numb. which in theory is better but i still hated it. i can no longer go to a doctor cause i no longer have insurance