Intranuclear Coccidiosis (Tortoise Bubonic Plague)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
For lack of words this is a very limited study of infection in chelonians and reptiles. This tends to be apparent in all species but plays a particular role of fatal infection in most. More commonly deadly(really deadly to begin with) in astrochelys radiata. Little is known of this strain of coccidia. Case studies are very limited. But I will advise after researching this "bubonic plague" for tortoises and turtles, to start doing cloaca swabs of your animals(specifically new additions). In many cases of "bio-security" as member Will defines in another posthttp://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66974.html. This level of testing for this highly infectious and very deadly is to be known more upon the sciences and medicinal aspects in this field. I cannot express enough reason to follow the guidelines of practicing safe tortoise/turtle keeping. Any size collection none the less needs to undergo a sense of quarantine for new animals or even just yearly exams/checks. I have been doing a lot of research on this with a few veterinarians, histopathoolgists, and professors of veterinary medicine. This seems to have a very very rare case of exposure. But none the less far more advanced and fatal than that of Mycoplasma, herpes, or any other common strain of protozoa in chelonian species. The way to test for this is to do cloaca swabs and send to a laboratory for bacterial/viral panel test. Typically takes a few weeks for results.

This infection can be spread among the easiest forms of transportation and that which we do not regularly deem "I was safe" conditions. Hands, feet, water, plants, flies, gnats, saliva of other chelonians housed together, fecal excrement smeared or carried from other animals feet to "tear apart a piece of green leaf", even finding worms in the soil it COULD be contaminated with, and then feeding to your animal. Little is known of the incubation of this nasty virus. The origins are not known either. Nor that of treatment. Published article is very vague but none the less a good start to make awareness to such deadly viruses our precious animals, hobby, business, or shelled friend could possible suffer from.

One case study done on a leopard tortoise was with the following histopath report. Luckily I had been able to be part of sharing this information and help out the tortoise community in awareness of an everyday new find in the sciences of this hobby.

Northwest Zoopath
http://www.zoopath.com/Services.htm
Michael M. Garner, DVM, Dipl. ACVP

"HISTORY: This greater than 30-year-old, the animal became inappetent, and was diagnosed with yolk coelomitis based on laparoscopic exam. Supportive care was administered, but the animal developed severe tenacious mucoid/diphtheric stomatitis/ileus, and died. Necropsy revealed a steel gray liver, mucoid colitis, yolk coelomitis, stomatitis, rhinitis, glossitis, and conjunctivitis.

CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS: Yolk coelomitis, possible herpes or iridovirus infection.

GROSS: Received in formalin are 18 tissues to 7 cm. in greatest dimension that are processed in nine blocks following appropriate decalcification of blocks #8-9.

MICROSCOPIC: Intranuclear coccidia in various stages of development are present in epithelial cells of the lung, ependyma, tongue, liver, gallbladder, kidney, esophagus, small intestine, colon, ureter, gallbladder, pancreas, and oviduct. Developmental stages are associated with varying degrees epithelial necrosis and lymphoplasmacytic inflammation. In the colon, the lesion is also associated with erosions and transmural edema. In the kidney, the lesion is associated with renal tubular dilatation, urate stasis, and necrosis. Ovary: Numerous follicles are degenerative. Coelomic cavity: Serosal surfaces have several adhesions and histiocytic inflammation with fibrin deposition and phagocytized yolk material.

HISTOPATHOLOGIC DIAGNOSIS: Intranuclear coccidiosis.

COMMENT: Histologic findings are consistent with fulminant disseminated intranuclear coccidiosis. There is no evidence of herpesvirus infection in the soft tissue sections. Microscopic examination of the decalcified head is pending with an addendum to follow."

Few articles portraying this viciously rare virus in chelonians
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.23...88&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102084083501
http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=1188&t=

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
To sum it up if you do not want to read it all and look through the links. This is my bible that built my quarantine regimes and facilitates a strong belief of "better safe than sorry". I care a lot about the tortoises we all keep and cherish about as our pets, conservation specimens, breeders, or inherited animals from our grandparents. After all even if you know who you are buying from, you still don't know what the animal could potentially have. Captive bred or not. The limits of rarity plays no vital importance in my opinion. People win the lottery all the time, even with outrageous odds against them. Always quarantine, always check and double check, and always never second guess the health of an animal. All my opinions on "adding" new animals, or "should I separate the new guy?" or "how long should I keep him alone before adding him to the group". I might be OCD and over zealous about rare infections but this and being a part of learning new and ongoing studies with very intellectual people in the research, and veterinarian field just fuels my fire to helping build a stronger presences in this world of chelonian.

ascott said:
Thank you for this share.

My pleasure. Wish we new more on this.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Man, these creatures have survived and thrived for a few years :)D) now...it is amazing to me how what we consider minor changes can so change the health in such a drastic way....evolution in motion is an awesome machine for sure....thank you again.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It sure is. The thing with this is that a lot of the studies an cases of it were randomly through out the early 90's to today. The test are not typical at all for even experienced chelonian veterinarians. The cloaca swab is usually not even thought of. Even fecal exams (and I have done hundreds of them) are very hard to see coccidias unless copies of extreme cases are present in the animal. This strain however is only tested through the lab mentioned, and certain research institutes. So any tortoise owner cant run to the vet and say I want a intranuclear coccidiosis swab run and sent off to the lab. We as humans definitely take for granted our society and what we don't see. Even in our hobby or love for something.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We as humans definitely take for granted our society and what we don't see

What a perfect statement. I completely agree. Sometimes just when we think we are so smart, we are humbly reminded, we know nothing....

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hey,

Just to be straight with a few terms, they are not a virus. They are a larger organism, similar to bacteria, but there are many differences such a different DNA architecture. Coccidian are actual animals/plants, which bacteria are not.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidia

for a general definition.

One of these organisms is what snake keepers fear, causing Cryptosporidiosis.

No matter, as Kelly points out they are bad.

http://vet.sagepub.com/content/43/3/311.full.pdf+html for a open source (free) full text article that Kelly references.

Will

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
ascott said:
Man, these creatures have survived and thrived for a few years :)D) now...it is amazing to me how what we consider minor changes can so change the health in such a drastic way....evolution in motion is an awesome machine for sure....thank you again.

If you haven't read the book "Parasite Rex", I'd highly recommend it. The author suggests pathogens & parasites are one of the primary drivers of evolutionary processes (vs. top-down or bottom-up controls).

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks Will. I am definitely not an organism or micro biologist type. Your clarified words are great add to this thead.

Will said:
Hey,

Just to be straight with a few terms, they are not a virus. They are a larger organism, similar to bacteria, but there are many differences such a different DNA architecture. Coccidian are actual animals/plants, which bacteria are not.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidia

for a general definition.

One of these organisms is what snake keepers fear, causing Cryptosporidiosis.

No matter, as Kelly points out they are bad.

http://vet.sagepub.com/content/43/3/311.full.pdf+html for a open source (free) full text article that Kelly references.

Will

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I'd like to chime in here on this disease because I have been involved in many discussions regarding Intranuclear Coccidiosis.
First of all it has been reported in multiple species of tortoises. The first likely case goes back to 1974 in a Radiated Tortoise from St. Catherine's Island. The first documented case was in 1994 in 2 Radiated Tortoises from that same group.
Right now it is not sure what the pathogenesis is. It does not show up on fecal analysis. PCR at the University of Florida on a cloacal swab is the only way to determine the presence right now except at necropsy. mortality can be as high as 100%.
There is some success using Ponazuril to treat any positive animals if caught early enough. The key is screening a collection before the animals are too debilitated for the treatment to be ineffective.
The best recommendations as previously stated would be to:
Quarantine new additions.
Test any new animals to be sure negative before introduction.
We are not sure how widespread Intranuclear Coccidiosis is. We are in the process of looking at funding to epidemiologically assess that scenario. The more collectors are willing to test, the better we are at finding out how to manage this disease.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This stuff scares the crap out of me.

Wen I buy new animals I prefer to get the, from backyard breeders with only one species that they've had for a long time. I feel this reduces the risk vs. buying from a large breeder with lots of species and lots of animals coming and going all the time.

My intention for the future is to get my foundation animals as CB stock and then go on complete lock down. Nothing new will come in. Only babies will go out.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Tom said:
This stuff scares the crap out of me.

Wen I buy new animals I prefer to get the, from backyard breeders with only one species that they've had for a long time. I feel this reduces the risk vs. buying from a large breeder with lots of species and lots of animals coming and going all the time.

My intention for the future is to get my foundation animals as CB stock and then go on complete lock down. Nothing new will come in. Only babies will go out.

Sounds like a very good plan indeed Tom. However this can be transmitted to CB,WC,CH, CBB etc.. Which indeed to me scares the crap out me too. I do have to say though. Fortunately it is very very rare.

deadheadvet thank you for giving a DVM perspective on this. Its hard for someone like me to relay conversations, emails, and communications from researchers, DVMs, and pathologists and remembering exactly what to "regurgitate" in a fashion. I for one am one of those people willing to partake in these studies for sure. I started now to do swabs and send them to the University Lab. Makes me wonder really if this inst so common after all. A lot of people don't do necropsy, and definitely don't think to do a cloaca swab and send to the University. I hope this never becomes an issue in this trade. Preventative measures are what I am doing now.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I would have to disagree with the rarity classification. With the information I have been made aware of, it is likely more common than we would like. It has been reported in Indian Star tortoises, Radiated tortoises, Leopard tortoises, Forstens tortoises, Impressed tortoises, and some species of turtles. The only way we get get a true statistical data base as to its true spread is if collectors will test their collection and find out if it exists. Better to know if you have it and start treating before these animals become debilitated and it's too late.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How long is the incubation period of this organism before manifesting symptoms, and once infected, what would be some of the symptoms that owners could spot so as to have testing done before it's too late? Also, once infected and it goes undetected, how long does it take before death becomes imminent? Does anyone know?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I do not know the incubation period. Or the timeframe when an animal contracts it and then shows signs. My understanding is that lethargy is a good sign. Loss of appetite, mucus discharge from eyes and nasal.cavity, heavy thick mucus. A vet I have been talking to about it states, its possible for animals to carry it and show no signs of having issues. Deadheadvet is spot on. I incorrectly stated the rarity of it. It's rare to many keepers because its typically not tested for. So with that being known. His statement of hoping more keepers test and provide information of animals with it is what I get from him and the vet I have been inquiring on this organism about. Way out of my realm to stating those answers Sibi. At least with an accuracy.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Do you know how much the test cost? I know a doc at UF vet hosp that can do the test, but I have three sullies and I would like to know how much it would cost me.

tortadise said:
I do not know the incubation period. Or the timeframe when an animal contracts it and then shows signs. My understanding is that lethargy is a good sign. Loss of appetite, mucus discharge from eyes and nasal.cavity, heavy thick mucus. A vet I have been talking to about it states, its possible for animals to carry it and show no signs of having issues. Deadheadvet is spot on. I incorrectly stated the rarity of it. It's rare to many keepers because its typically not tested for. So with that being known. His statement of hoping more keepers test and provide information of animals with it is what I get from him and the vet I have been inquiring on this organism about. Way out of my realm to stating those answers Sibi. At least with an accuracy.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No problem. They University typically wont do it for anyone. But if you know people there hope it works. I have to do my send outs through my local vet. It does not matter to me though. I will pay what needs to be preventative or just cautious with my animals. Better safe than sorry right.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
There have been reported cases of very acute illness in younger animals and early death and older animals having more slower protracted disease and ultimate death. IT has as been reported as early as 2 week incubation dependent on exposure but still unknown how it is transmitted.
There are 2 ways to test:
1. Quick PCR which will only look for the exact DNA sequence of the coccidia in question. Faster results. Could be less expensive since the lab can run 24 samples on 1 gel plate and you pay for the number of tests you are running on that plate. Sometimes it's worth waiting a little bit of time until a full plate is being run.
2. Full PCR: complete DNA breakdown which looks at the full sequence in case there could be other coccidia causing this. Right now it is the belief it is one type of Eimeria that is the culprit.
Cost is more and takes longer to get results.
3. It is possible to run pooled samples on multiple animals to reduce cost. The only risk is if the result is positive, each animal has to be retested.