Intro and need help with a Desert tort baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melkin

5 Year Member
Hi
I am a bit confused on how to use the site, but I will start trying here.

I have 4 Sulcatas and 2 Leopards ages between 4 and 10 years old. I have been very successful keeping these non-hibernating torts healthy through the years by bringing them inside in the winter.. until now. This year they have grown so large that I broke down an built them a TuffShed that keeps them warm expcept when the temps go below 32 degrees (like this weird winter when we had nearly a week of 29 degrees here in the Sonoran Desert). They all get along well, have full run of my back yard, andI grow all their food which as a variety of grasses, cactus, and greens from my non-GMO organic garden.

Today my tree-trimmer dropped by to ask me if I would take a 3 inch baby Desert Tort (native to Arizona) that he discovered in a client's yard he was weed-whacking. I reluctantly took the baby and then called the Desert Museum here in Tucson looking for assistance finding a certified custodian for this native tortoise. I was only able to leave a message with the Desert Museum--no real person on the line. I cannot keep another tortoise, particulary since I have ( and want) only African tortoises, the largest of which weighs more than 50 lbs.

Anyone in Arizona have ideas about finding a home? I am waiting for a call-back from the Desert Museum, but thought I might as well start investigating the solution on my own.

Thanks, Melinda

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
You can try the Herpetological Society in Phoenix 602-550-7029. Good luck!!

Oh, and Welcome to the forum :cool: What are you growing in your organic garden? I would like to do the same thing here in Phoenix. We always love seeing pictures of your torts too, if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

melkin

5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I will call that number.
In my garden I have or had, depending on season, Kale, Mustard Greens, Canteloupe, Arugala, Zuchini, Pumpkin, Radish, Turnip, Lettuce, Beets. I use ALL of the greens associated including the squash and pumpkin leaves and male flowers mixed in with (about 75% grasses and 25% from my garden) the grasses that I grow in the front and back yards. sometimes I will give the torts (they go bonkers for it) a little bit of Canteloupe that I harvest early so that the sugar content is low.I bought a bunch of Sulcata and Leopardspecific grass seeds a few years ago from a website called turtlestuff.com and now I collect the seeds from my grasses and keep spreading the growing area larger and larger each year. If you would like some seeds to start now that we are getting rain in AZ, I can send you some. I will post some pics soon.
Oh, and Welcome to the forum :cool: What are you growing in your organic garden? I would like to do the same thing here in Phoenix. We always love seeing pictures of your torts too, if it wouldn't be too much trouble.
[/quote]

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I don't know how much this is going to help you but the only big rescue/research center is in Pheonix

Google these words...

Desert tortoise rescue Tucson

melkin said:
Hi
I am a bit confused on how to use the site, but I will start trying here.

I have 4 Sulcatas and 2 Leopards ages between 4 and 10 years old. I have been very successful keeping these non-hibernating torts healthy through the years by bringing them inside in the winter.. until now. This year they have grown so large that I broke down an built them a TuffShed that keeps them warm expcept when the temps go below 32 degrees (like this weird winter when we had nearly a week of 29 degrees here in the Sonoran Desert). They all get along well, have full run of my back yard, andI grow all their food which as a variety of grasses, cactus, and greens from my non-GMO organic garden.

Today my tree-trimmer dropped by to ask me if I would take a 3 inch baby Desert Tort (native to Arizona) that he discovered in a client's yard he was weed-whacking. I reluctantly took the baby and then called the Desert Museum here in Tucson looking for assistance finding a certified custodian for this native tortoise. I was only able to leave a message with the Desert Museum--no real person on the line. I cannot keep another tortoise, particulary since I have ( and want) only African tortoises, the largest of which weighs more than 50 lbs.

Anyone in Arizona have ideas about finding a home? I am waiting for a call-back from the Desert Museum, but thought I might as well start investigating the solution on my own.

Thanks, Melinda

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Wow, now that's a garden. I am impressed. I had a garden when I lived in a cooler climate, but have trouble keeping most anything growing in this heat. What is your secret? Do you keep your garden under shade? I know it's a little cooler in Tucson than Phoenix, but not so much. How often, how much, do you need to water the garden to keep it thriving?
Your torts must be very happy!!

melkin said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I will call that number.
In my garden I have or had, depending on season, Kale, Mustard Greens, Canteloupe, Arugala, Zuchini, Pumpkin, Radish, Turnip, Lettuce, Beets. I use ALL of the greens associated including the squash and pumpkin leaves and male flowers mixed in with (about 75% grasses and 25% from my garden) the grasses that I grow in the front and back yards. sometimes I will give the torts (they go bonkers for it) a little bit of Canteloupe that I harvest early so that the sugar content is low.I bought a bunch of Sulcata and Leopardspecific grass seeds a few years ago from a website called turtlestuff.com and now I collect the seeds from my grasses and keep spreading the growing area larger and larger each year. If you would like some seeds to start now that we are getting rain in AZ, I can send you some. I will post some pics soon.

[/quote]

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
are you sure its a desert tort? post a pic.. ?
and post pics of all your others!! AND your garden!

melkin

5 Year Member
Just to let you all know---The Desert Museum Herp-lady called me last Friday and said that altho' they were up to their ears in adult Desert torts, they had a bit more room for babies. I took the baby tort to the museum and as I was filling out the paperwork, a woman and her son arrived to go to the museum and announced that they wanted to adopt a baby tort. So, all is well with this young'n.

Regarding my garden, soon I will post some pics of the garden and then the other areas where I grow grasses and cacti to feed my Sulcatas and Leopards. It has taken about 2 years to get the gardens, grasses and cactus "Mother Lobes" rolling along smoothly into near constant food production. Now I am in maintenance mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.