Intro from PA

Holly'sMom

Thanks for allowing us to join! We've been using posts on this site for awhile to help out with issues. We're new to having a tortoise and just want to make sure she's as happy and healthy as possible. I was one of those mom's who's daughter seen a tiny cute little tortoise, and agreed to get her not realizing(or being informed it would be bigger than the leopard we'd planned on buying) or how fast she would grow compared to the other. We were sold a sulcata hatchling (told it was a sudanese sulcata I'm concluding they get larger ). We originally were shopping for a leopard tortoise after meeting one at a pet store so we thankfully had in mind we would need housing for a large tortoise eventually and had researched them before hand). Anyways I'm new to all this, trying to make sure I keep our pet healthy and appreciate this forums help so far! We only have the one tortoise for now (along w 2 bengals, a chihuahua and a 9yr old daughter ) Thanks for the add!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Hopefully you found atoms threads on raising a sulcata. Hot and humid in a closed chamber.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Holly'sMom

Haha opps Bengal Cats* no tigers here although they tend to attack my daughters life sized stuffed tiger . Thanks I'm not sure if I've read all these or not but I have gone over the sulcata housing on here prob daily I'm still moving lamps around etc we're in a 50gl critter tank( I know everyone says no tanks, please don't kill me!) but I've kept the humidity at 65/75 heat warm end 95/100F low end 85/90F and have top soil on the one half and topsoil w 75/50 coconut fiber layered over (kinda mixes in the middle). I'm only having one issue that started today.. The little Bugger keeps flipping it's self over! I tried taking out the hut thinking that was it- nope flipped again. So I took everything out placed food on a huge piece of lettuce and still flipped over again.. It's not towards a side it's kinda in the middle. I'm at a loss lol I've been checking on her every few mins and I guess I'll be setting my alarm every HR tonight because honestly it's scaring the crap out of me (excuse all the stuff on the sides it's so it can't see past to stop the pacing and the stuff under is my daughters that's her playroom table haha)

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Holly'sMom

Haha opps Bengal Cats* no tigers here although they tend to attack my daughters life sized stuffed tiger . Thanks I'm not sure if I've read all these or not but I have gone over the sulcata housing on here prob daily I'm still moving lamps around etc we're in a 50gl critter tank( I know everyone says no tanks, please don't kill me!) but I've kept the humidity at 65/75 heat warm end 95/100F low end 85/90F and have top soil on the one half and topsoil w 75/50 coconut fiber layered over (kinda mixes in the middle). I'm only having one issue that started today.. The little Bugger keeps flipping it's self over! I tried taking out the hut thinking that was it- nope flipped again. So I took everything out placed food on a huge piece of lettuce and still flipped over again.. It's not towards a side it's kinda in the middle. I'm at a loss lol I've been checking on her every few mins and I guess I'll be setting my alarm every HR tonight because honestly it's scaring the crap out of me (excuse all the stuff on the sides it's so it can't see past to stop the pacing and the stuff under is my daughters that's her playroom table haha)
75/25 coconut fiber** srry the loose kind not block

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Unfortunately, some of them are real pests when it comes to flipping, make sure she' can't flip under her basking spot or in the water bowl.
I use a cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer, big enough for the tortoise to soak in and sunk into the substrate, this reduces the chances of flipping climbing in or out.
There's nothing wrong with having a vivarium, it makes controlling heat and humidity easier, but I would tape all along the bottom so the little one can't see out, this may reduce panic or flipping trying to get out. Ensuring correct heat and lighting is also important .
Hope you're not using any coiled bulbs.
Read the care sheets I posted and I would put in something like spider plants to give the tortoise something to hide under and make her feel a little more secure.
Good luck with your vigil.

legan52

Chicago
My baby had a period of flipping but once we switched out his hut it didn't happen again (except for one random time) we went from 2x a day to once in three weeks. The problem was just that he was able to get too much purchase from his wood/bark style hut. I changed it into a terra cotta pot, broken to be able to lay on its side. I'm still super paranoid and check constantly, but it's looking much better so far!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1473305850.598266.jpg

Holly'sMom

My baby had a period of flipping but once we switched out his hut it didn't happen again (except for one random time) we went from 2x a day to once in three weeks. The problem was just that he was able to get too much purchase from his wood/bark style hut. I changed it into a terra cotta pot, broken to be able to lay on its side. I'm still super paranoid and check constantly, but it's looking much better so far!View attachment 186193
Thank you I'll have to run out and grab a pot!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome , don't be to concerned about that tank . Anything negative you hear is likely going to be from people who never used one and are just clinging to a non issue ! :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hi and welcome , don't be to concerned about that tank . Anything negative you hear is likely going to be from people who never used one and are just clinging to a non issue ! :)

Have those pet non-issues out here in spades, that is true!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome! That is a nice looking little tort you have there.

Holly'sMom

Unfortunately, some of them are real pests when it comes to flipping, make sure she' can't flip under her basking spot or in the water bowl.
I use a cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer, big enough for the tortoise to soak in and sunk into the substrate, this reduces the chances of flipping climbing in or out.
There's nothing wrong with having a vivarium, it makes controlling heat and humidity easier, but I would tape all along the bottom so the little one can't see out, this may reduce panic or flipping trying to get out. Ensuring correct heat and lighting is also important .
Hope you're not using any coiled bulbs.
Read the care sheets I posted and I would put in something like spider plants to give the tortoise something to hide under and make her feel a little more secure.
Good luck with your vigil.
(Still trying to figure out how to reply to one person haha) but no coiled bulbs BUT I had someone mention infrared bulbs can hurt their eyes? Not the red or blue but the reg no light ceramic lights? Is that true. I have one basking light one ceramic then the UVB. The temps too low if I turn both bulbs off (only at night), I just ordered a second ceramic bulb/clamp lamp because it's dropping under 85 on one end w/o the second basking lamp now that it's cooler at night (the lamps are all on hang bars also not clipped on) so I don't have to keep the little thing up all night w basking lamps but now I'm concerned about that. I may have misread as I can't find it now but figured I'd ask

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Do you mean a CHE ? Ceramic Heat Emitter.
Like this ? upload_2016-9-9_5-4-16.jpeg
I use one with no problems, never heard of them being any trouble, except they get very hot, of course. need to be connected to a thermostat.
The ceramic blocks out infrared so only heat is emitted. Quite safe.
Clamps have a nasty tendency to fail and thus fires can occur., so it's good yours are fixed securely, don't use clamps.
You must have complete darkness at night or the poor tort won't sleep properly.
To start a Private Message (PM) just click on the avatar of the person. This will bring up a black box with some info.
Click on start conversation and then put in a title, enter your message and select the green create conversation at the bottom of the page when you're ready to send.

Holly'sMom

Thank you that's exactly what I have and ordered. made by flunkers ( I have an 8.5 and a 5.5 flunkers brand dome light) I have 3 thermometers the hydrometer/thermometers in 3 different spots on the floor(they stick to the back w Velcro then I can take them off and place under lights to make sure it's not too hot). are they different than a thermostat? I know thermostats check temperature like in my house and in my car but I just want to make sure that we're talking about the same thing..

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you that's exactly what I have and ordered. made by flunkers ( I have an 8.5 and a 5.5 flunkers brand dome light) I have 3 thermometers the hydrometer/thermometers in 3 different spots on the floor(they stick to the back w Velcro then I can take them off and place under lights to make sure it's not too hot). are they different than a thermostat? I know thermostats check temperature like in my house and in my car but I just want to make sure that we're talking about the same thing..
I think you mean hygrometer; for measuring humidity. ;)
A thermostat regulates your temperature and is different from a thermometer that just measures it.
A thermostat can be set to a set temperature and connected to your CHE.
When the temperature is reached the CHE switches off and comes back on again when the temp dips too low.
This keeps your temperature regulated at night and save electricity.