Intro from PipSqueak's New Mom (sulcata)

Imara6mara

Location (City and/or State)
Thailand
Hello from sunny Thailand,
Late last October, my boyfriend went fishing and found this tortoise wandering around the woods near the lake. He knew she wasn't native and thought she was super cute, so he brought her home to me. I never had a tortoise before, so I hadn't any idea what to do with her. I had an extra fish tank which I put her in for the night with some dirt, some veg from my fridge and a bowl of water.

The next day, I went out to get something bigger for her and started to try and figure out what kind of tortoise she is. Thanks mainly to this wonderful forum, I've since worked out that she's a sulcata and how to properly care for her. As you can see from the photos, she probably didn't have the best start in life, as it seems she's already starting to pyramid. The pic in the glass is the first day she was here, looking all scared and shy.

She's no longer shy at all. In fact, she is quite a character, and truth be told she's really crept her way into my heart rather quickly. I didn't expect that at all! I just adore her now. She's getting daily soaks at noontime, and I also wet her down first thing in the morning and again before bed. She has a yard outside and she eats like a horse! She's already grown and getting heavier. She's about 5" long, so I'm estimating she's a couple of years old? I bought a dog house for her yard, and she's also made herself a little burrow. I hope her shell will start to smooth out. Average humidity here in Thailand averages around 80%, so that helps.

I wanted to name her something majestic that would suit her when she's 150 ys old, but she's come to be known as PipSqueak, because she sometimes squeaks (very quietly!). Do any of yours do that, too?
Sorry for the long intro, and thanks for adding me to the forum.
Kind regards,
:) Mara

Oct 2017.jpg BathTime.jpg

Imara6mara

Thailand
Thank you, Rosemary!
If I've done my research right, I do believe she's a little girl.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mara, and welcome! I wouldn't call that little beauty pyramided. She's really quite smooth compared to some we've seen. Most tortoises look female before they reach sexual maturity. I'm afraid you're going to have to wait until 'she' gets to be about 8 or 10" long (front to back) before you'll know for sure. But she's definitely a beautiful little sulcata. . . and a lucky one too. Thank goodness your BF found her on his fishing trip!

Imara6mara

Thailand
Oh, thanks Yvonne! I didn't know I would have to wait so long to know if she's a boy or girl, but I guess the name PipSqueak will work for a boy, too. ;)

I'm most happy you think she looks good. I want to do right by her. She seems very happy here.

So nobody else has torts that make noise? I recorded her making one of her squeaks last night before I went to bed. It's dark, but you can clearly hear her squeak at the beginning of the clip about 4 seconds in.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She is lovely, and I am glad you got her. But I cannot see or hear the video.