Intro, Hello from Georgia!

Pippi

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hello Everyone,
New member from Georgia. I grew up with a tortoise that walked up to our back gate, moved in and has stayed for many years. This was before the internet (but not much!! Lol!), so we did everything wrong. He lived in a large backyard, in a mid-sized city, with a miniature horse and a ton of beautiful bunnies. He was just a kind of magical dinosaur to us. I’m guessing he’s some sort of Greek species?
Fast forward 20+ years filled with farms, Thoroughbreds, Great Danes, etc and keeping several types of reptiles and an odd obsession with the science of husbandry practices. And my very first Leo hatchling, who arrived yesterday morning. ❤️

I’m so thankful that this site exists. I’m pretty sure I haven’t slept or signed out for about a week, but the discussions, experiments and information have been like a novel I can’t put down. :) I love finding things I didn’t know about and things I didn’t know I didn’t know about. Thanks, y’all!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello Everyone,
New member from Georgia. I grew up with a tortoise that walked up to our back gate, moved in and has stayed for many years. This was before the internet (but not much!! Lol!), so we did everything wrong. He lived in a large backyard, in a mid-sized city, with a miniature horse and a ton of beautiful bunnies. He was just a kind of magical dinosaur to us. I’m guessing he’s some sort of Greek species?
Fast forward 20+ years filled with farms, Thoroughbreds, Great Danes, etc and keeping several types of reptiles and an odd obsession with the science of husbandry practices. And my very first Leo hatchling, who arrived yesterday morning. ❤️

I’m so thankful that this site exists. I’m pretty sure I haven’t slept or signed out for about a week, but the discussions, experiments and information have been like a novel I can’t put down. :) I love finding things I didn’t know about and things I didn’t know I didn’t know about. Thanks, y’all!

Welcome and don't be soooo quick to ditch ALL of the old ways...they are still good and healthy :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Welcome fellow Georgian! You must be about my age, I too can remember the ancient days of old, before the internet. Seriously, what did we do back then I can't remember?

Pippi

Georgia
Welcome fellow Georgian! You must be about my age, I too can remember the ancient days of old, before the internet. Seriously, what did we do back then I can't remember?
Libraries and carrier pigeons...

Pippi

Georgia
Welcome and don't be soooo quick to ditch ALL of the old ways...they are still good and healthy :)
Ummm... there were no old ways. My mom had a 7ft gorgeous brick wall put up around the entire yard, threw out vegetables, fruits, hay and all of those creatures ate together. On little porcelain plates. She had a beautiful little brick and mortar potting shed built that the tortoise and mini horse shared. That mini horse was super tiny. Never saw any bullying or anything. But there were certainly no “ways” or husbandry skills at play. Lol!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ummm... there were no old ways. My mom had a 7ft gorgeous brick wall put up around the entire yard, threw out vegetables, fruits, hay and all of those creatures ate together. On little porcelain plates. She had a beautiful little brick and mortar potting shed built that the tortoise and mini horse shared. That mini horse was super tiny. Never saw any bullying or anything. But there were certainly no “ways” or husbandry skills at play. Lol!

That was ALL husbandry.....met all the needs there and therefore worked... :)