Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick A

5 Year Member
Hello all. Just stumbled across the tort forum on a google search for Texas tortoises. I live in Albuquerque NM. I've had a Texas tortoise since 02. Rescued from a busy highway in northern NM. It is a personable family member and has grown considerably since ive had it. Its an outdoor pet and hibernates every winter for about 7 months. Was told by a local turtle and tortoise club that it is female yet the bottom is concave. Turtles have always been my favorite animal since childhood. I hope to learn more about my tx tortoise and other turtles & tortoises on this forum. Thanks
:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Derrick:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I'd love to see pictures of your Tortoise. If the club told you it was female, but the plastron is concave, the club was more than likely wrong. Texas tortoises are almost a caricature of a tortoise...by that I mean, they have exaggerated features. Their heads are slightly too large for their body size. In the males, the concave plastron is VERY concave.

I love that you rescued him. They do have a way of worming themselves into your heart, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.