introducing another tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kali 55

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, CA
I have been looking into getting another russian to keep with savanna, her enclosure is definatly big enough. Would it be possible to introduce a male, probably larger, into her pen with her? I wouldnt want a larger male to bully her, and the chances of finding one around the same size and age as her are pretty slim. I dont know much about keeping males and females together, especially at different sizes. Can anyone tell me if this is possible, or if would it cause any problems?

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Depends on several factors. Size of enclosure, how many visual barriors and how much of a size difference. The enclosure being large enough to accomodate both, especially if she needs to get away from him is a big one. You also need several visual barriors so that if she doesn't want him to, he can't see her from across the enclosure. If the male is so much larger than her that he could harm her (either intentionally or unintentionally) then that could be a problem. I would try it and keep a close eye on them. If the male seems overly aggressive and continually harrasses the female then I would seperate them until she gets larger. If you put them together and he kinda tries to push her around a little and then loses some interest then I would think they would be fine. I guess the main point is to keep a close eye on them and look for him being overly aggressive. With my Russians, the females tend to be the ones that push the others around, not the male.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russian males mate 24/7 you would need a very large enclosure with lots of hides and sight barriers to protect the female from excessive mating. I have 3 russians 2 males and 1 female and I keep my female separate because the one male wants to mate with her 24/7 unless you have a very large outdoor enclosure, Personally I would not put more than one in an enclosure I am not saying to not get another one if you want to just keep them separate.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
dmmj said:
Russian males mate 24/7...I keep my female separate because the one male wants to mate with her 24/7

Wow, my male is not like this at all. He is with 3 females and I have only seen him mate them up until about a month after hibernation, then he just doesn't care. Maybe that's why I can't get any eggs out of mine. I may have to get another male. Mine might be a dud...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you lived in california I would loan you my male he mates like there is no tomorrow, to bad my female is undersized.

Status
Not open for further replies.