Introducing Mac and cheesy

Sherbirch

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Mac and Cheesy were recently adopted to be companions for our 10 plus year old Russian who lost her buddy.

2BC1E3C8-711B-4A7A-9833-32BCE951A86E.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your russian might not be too happy having two interlopers in his territory. Be watchful. Did you quarantine the newcomers?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!

I hate to break it to you, but Russians are completely solitary, territorial animals that do much better alone, and should never be kept in pairs. They do not have a concept of friendship, and only see other tortoises as mates, combatants, or both.

Russians can be kept in groups, but they need very large enclosures(8x4 feet x the number of tortoises), and there cannot be more than one male.

There also needs to be a quarantine period before introducing new tortoises to a group.

Sherbirch

Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

I hate to break it to you, but Russians are completely solitary, territorial animals that do much better alone, and should never be kept in pairs. They do not have a concept of friendship, and only see other tortoises as mates, combatants, or both.

Russians can be kept in groups, but they need very large enclosures(8x4 feet x the number of tortoises), and there cannot be more than one male.

There also needs to be a quarantine period before introducing new tortoises to a group.
Thank for for the reply. Yes, they will be kept separate until spring. Franklin has been hibernating in the cool bedroom since the beginning of November, she does not like to be disturbed until the end of February! We will only be keeping one, the other will go to my sons. They will live in a 20x30 year round sunroom as soon as the floor is finished.
It’s odd that you say “solitary” as she has been extremely restless since we lost the other one.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank for for the reply. Yes, they will be kept separate until spring. Franklin has been hibernating in the cool bedroom since the beginning of November, she does not like to be disturbed until the end of February! We will only be keeping one, the other will go to my sons. They will live in a 20x30 year round sunroom as soon as the floor is finished.
It’s odd that you say “solitary” as she has been extremely restless since we lost the other one.

She was likely just getting used to the change. They will not be able to live as a pair, so you will need to divide the yard or build separate enclosures.

In pairs, there is always a dominant and a subordinate, and both are constantly stressed. One is constantly being bullied, and the other can’t get the intruder out of it’s territory. In groups, the stress is usually spread out.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Wow, that tortoise on the right has been through some scrapes! Which one is that?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum!

Happy Birthday!

Sherbirch

Michigan
Welcome!

Wow, that tortoise on the right has been through some scrapes! Which one is that?
They say he wasn’t chewed on by their dog, however; there is a spot that looks like a healed puncture as well. I hope they took him to the vet when it happened.

Sherbirch

Michigan
Notice how the one tort is covering the food? That could be a sign of dominance.
Good point however he was just running over it. It was his first day in the sunroom and he had no inteterest in food. Ungrateful tortoise.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Lol When Opo shows a little companionship I melt like butter. Then the next minute Opo acts like I am not even in the room.