Introducing my South Indian Star Familly

gaveau yohann

Location (City and/or State)
Guadeloupe
Hi Guys,

Let me introduce to you my 4 indian star tortoises, born in Germany in 2016 and shipped to me last December in Guadeloupe (French Caribbean Island).

IMG_4741.JPGIMG_4746.JPG They were first inside for the three first months because it was so rainy and now they are outside. Very Shy but Very Active. My dream for them... no pyramiding...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I changed the outside pen today, I will update the new pictures as soon as possible View attachment 203475 but here you've got how it was before.
Great start and I'm sure your enclosure will be great for them. Just a thought for you... These tortoises will naturally seek out and want to "hide" pushed under a bush or in the rootball of a large clump of grass. Even in a climate like yours, providing that option for them is an excellent Idea, especially for young tortoises. In the wild they seek out these locations, normally by a water source, as it is a naturally much more humid, stable microclimate for them. The plants are growing where water is nearer the surface, and the roots are drawing water up to nourish the plant. By scratching in next to the rootball, not only are the young tortoises hidden, but equally important, they are attracted to the higher humidity next to that root ball. An artificial log, or box hide does not have that "natures" automatic constant water source being pulled up. Even in your climate, a pen not given those options and left more "barren" will become way drier than we realize for a tortoise on the ground. For example, right now, if I check my data sensors I have placed for my experiments and monitoring, the open sensor more at official meteorological height above ground - shows 55% humidity right now in the mid morning. While the sensor placed in one of my tortoises favorite daytime hides under a bush reads 94% humidity! Landscape their enclosure with lots of edible plants and you will definitely see your dream come true!

Keep us updated.

gaveau yohann

Guadeloupe
Great start and I'm sure your enclosure will be great for them. Just a thought for you... These tortoises will naturally seek out and want to "hide" pushed under a bush or in the rootball of a large clump of grass. Even in a climate like yours, providing that option for them is an excellent Idea, especially for young tortoises. In the wild they seek out these locations, normally by a water source, as it is a naturally much more humid, stable microclimate for them. The plants are growing where water is nearer the surface, and the roots are drawing water up to nourish the plant. By scratching in next to the rootball, not only are the young tortoises hidden, but equally important, they are attracted to the higher humidity next to that root ball. An artificial log, or box hide does not have that "natures" automatic constant water source being pulled up. Even in your climate, a pen not given those options and left more "barren" will become way drier than we realize for a tortoise on the ground. For example, right now, if I check my data sensors I have placed for my experiments and monitoring, the open sensor more at official meteorological height above ground - shows 55% humidity right now in the mid morning. While the sensor placed in one of my tortoises favorite daytime hides under a bush reads 94% humidity! Landscape their enclosure with lots of edible plants and you will definitely see your dream come true!

Keep us updated.

I added two hibiscus in the enclosure and also planted some plantain.. what kind of bush can I add? elephant grass?pennisetum, ophiopogon?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I added two hibiscus in the enclosure and also planted some plantain.. what kind of bush can I add? elephant grass?pennisetum, ophiopogon?
Can't do much better than hibiscus. In your climate, I would have a lot of it. I, and tortoises, do like grassy clumps too. I would have to research to find what would be best in your climate. Your first two are the same family as elephant grass is of the pennisetum species and those are good choices and good tortoise food. For me, the elephant grass get too big. I would have to search a lot to find my smaller tortoises to bring in at night! Ophiopogon is what I know as Mondo grass. It is the size I like in an enclosure, but mondo grass itself is not a good tortoise food at all. I wouldn't want them eating it.

Are you familiar with the Tortoise table website? That is a good starting point. The problem is it is way too conservative as it simply reports if there are any know issues with a plant being consumed - by anything. Some they list as not good are actually quite good for tortoises, but dogs and/or cats may react to something in them. But at least if something you don't know about is listed as OK to feed, you at least know that item is perfectly safe. It just may cause you to omit some that don't need to be avoided.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

gaveau yohann

Guadeloupe
Can't do much better than hibiscus. In your climate, I would have a lot of it. I, and tortoises, do like grassy clumps too. I would have to research to find what would be best in your climate. Your first two are the same family as elephant grass is of the pennisetum species and those are good choices and good tortoise food. For me, the elephant grass get too big. I would have to search a lot to find my smaller tortoises to bring in at night! Ophiopogon is what I know as Mondo grass. It is the size I like in an enclosure, but mondo grass itself is not a good tortoise food at all. I wouldn't want them eating it.

Are you familiar with the Tortoise table website? That is a good starting point. The problem is it is way too conservative as it simply reports if there are any know issues with a plant being consumed - by anything. Some they list as not good are actually quite good for tortoises, but dogs and/or cats may react to something in them. But at least if something you don't know about is listed as OK to feed, you at least know that item is perfectly safe. It just may cause you to omit some that don't need to be avoided.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/
Thanks

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
Moringa oleifera would be another good choice for your climate. I'd probably have some kind of gourds or pumpkins growing if I could, too. My stars like the leaves and flowers a lot. And a bunch of opuntia cactus as well.

gaveau yohann

Guadeloupe
IMG_0028.JPG Sorry for the delay... we moved to a new house last week-end. You will find attached the pics of the temporary new enclosure. I also have plenty of weeds growing all other the place:tort:;) IMG_0025.JPGIMG_0026.JPG IMG_0030.JPGIMG_0029.JPG

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Beautiful! And I see the tortoises are doing really well. The one in your first picture just now was the smallest one in your March picture, and is now looking like it is growing very well and totally smooth.

gaveau yohann

Guadeloupe
IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0102.JPG Yesterday i came across the issue of Shell rot. So this morning i washed them, here are the pics of the plastron... what do you think ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What makes you think shell rot? I can't see anything that looks like shell rot and it is really quite rare with stars. Perhaps a closeup picture showing what you concerned about?

gaveau yohann

Guadeloupe
What makes you think shell rot? I can't see anything that looks like shell rot and it is really quite rare with stars. Perhaps a closeup picture showing what you concerned about?

Hi Markw84,

reading you I realize I have perhaps misunderstood what is shell rot my worries are regarding those white "spots" on the plastron
kO0og5

https://ibb.co/kO0og5
https://ibb.co/gk4s8k

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
I can see what you mean on some of the pectoral scutes @gaveau yohann . You might hit it with some athlete’s foot spray applied with a q-tip to the trouble spots as a preventative measure. Just keep it away from the tortoises’ eyes and mouth, obviously.