Introducing my tortoise, and his enclosure *Requested*

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Actually, I hate to disagree with all the above info, because it is all good stuff, and very true and important, however...

Your Russian tortoise is almost full grown. They can get by without a whole lot of humidity. What has been said up above was good info if your Russian were a younger tortoise. You can remove the straw, and moisten the substrate. Adding a waterer in the habitat so he can get drinks as needed would be a good idea too. An almost full grown Russian, like your tortoise, can get by with every other or every third day soaks. It was said above, and it is very true - tortoises need humidity. Russian tortoises dig down into the earth, usually under the roots of plants, and it is humid down there. This helps them to grow and is very good for them. So a totally dry habitat is not the way to go.

The spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulbs are known to cause eye problems in young tortoises. It would probably be ok for you to keep using it, however, because I know for a fact it has caused problems with baby tortoise's eyes, I would never use one for any tortoise, large or small. I much prefer the Mercury Vapor Bulb, but you can't use your dual fixture with the MVB because it gets too hot and needs to be in a fixture with a wider bell shape.

I hope you don't think we're picking on you. We sometimes go overboard trying to help new tortoise-keepers. We only have your tortoise's best interest in mind.
Oh I'm sorry I thought he was a young tortoise! I'll stand back. Sorry!

Lauren13705

Yeah, that's bad info. There is no tort or turtle on the planet that needs and would remain healthy at 0% humidity. Even the species that live in arid deserts burrow down into the ground and create a high humid micro-climate for themselves because they need humidity and moisture.
What do you suggest doing to create humidity? Should I switch him to a 50 gallon tank instead..?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
What do you suggest doing to create humidity? Should I switch him to a 50 gallon tank instead..?
He needs something bigger than a 50 gallon. He needs at minimum a 4X8 foot enclosure inside. An outside enclosure even bigger than 4X8 would be best. Don't use the hay all over the enclosure. Take the substrate you are using and hydrate it to the point where it feels moist, but if you squeeze a handful no water squeezes out. Give him a hide at all times, maybe put some hydrated/moistened sphagnum moss inside of the hide to create a humid hide. Sink into the substrate a terra cotta plant saucer of water in his enclosure that is big enough for him to get in and soak on his own if he chooses. Supply this with clean fresh water daily and leave it in at all times. You can reduce soaking to once every other day like Yvonne said. Honestly, asking her your questions would be better than asking me; Yvonne knows a helluva lot more than I do.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
What kind of bulb do you suggest using?
You can use a strip UVB ReptiSun bulb, or buy a wider brimmed lamp and buy a mercury vapor bulb. If you get the mercury vapor bulb, you won't need any other bulb during the day since it produces heat, UVA, & UVB all on its own.
Either way, do not use compact or coil bulbs. They've been shown to hurt/damage/irritate tortoise and turtle eyes. Also no colored bulbs. So no red, blue, etc colored night or heat bulbs.

Lauren13705

He needs something bigger than a 50 gallon. He needs at minimum a 4X8 foot enclosure inside. An outside enclosure even bigger than 4X8 would be best. Don't use the hay all over the enclosure. Take the substrate you are using and hydrate it to the point where it feels moist, but if you squeeze a handful no water squeezes out. Give him a hide at all times, maybe put some hydrated/moistened sphagnum moss inside of the hide to create a humid hide. Sink into the substrate a terra cotta plant saucer of water in his enclosure that is big enough for him to get in and soak on his own if he chooses. Supply this with clean fresh water daily and leave it in at all times. You can reduce soaking to once every other day like Yvonne said. Honestly, asking her your questions would be better than asking me; Yvonne knows a helluva lot more than I do.
Then it all comes back to shell rot, what about that? This is all so new so please bare with me haha.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Don't worry, no he does not. I'm asking if the humidity will give him shell rot
No. A turtle/tort gets shell rot when there is damage to the shell that gives the fungus and bacteria access to breeding ground. A lack of proper humidity drying out the shell and causing flakes is actually one way they get shell rot.

Lauren13705

Oh thank goodness, I was so worried I was doing it all wrong and that he wasn't going to be okay. I went out today and purchased this bulb ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440002901.785031.jpg

Along with a thermo-hygrometer, to measure humidity. Right now, without spraying his habitat the humidity is 40% and 92 degrees F. My tort is atleast a year or two old, considering I got him from petco he has to be a juvenile. So he's past his baby stage but still had more growing to do. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440003094.051795.jpg

In your opinion does he look underfed or does he just look petite/ still growing? Thank you so much for your advice, it's very much appreciated.

Lauren13705

Actually, I hate to disagree with all the above info, because it is all good stuff, and very true and important, however...

Your Russian tortoise is almost full grown. They can get by without a whole lot of humidity. What has been said up above was good info if your Russian were a younger tortoise. You can remove the straw, and moisten the substrate. Adding a waterer in the habitat so he can get drinks as needed would be a good idea too. An almost full grown Russian, like your tortoise, can get by with every other or every third day soaks. It was said above, and it is very true - tortoises need humidity. Russian tortoises dig down into the earth, usually under the roots of plants, and it is humid down there. This helps them to grow and is very good for them. So a totally dry habitat is not the way to go.

The spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulbs are known to cause eye problems in young tortoises. It would probably be ok for you to keep using it, however, because I know for a fact it has caused problems with baby tortoise's eyes, I would never use one for any tortoise, large or small. I much prefer the Mercury Vapor Bulb, but you can't use your dual fixture with the MVB because it gets too hot and needs to be in a fixture with a wider bell shape.

I hope you don't think we're picking on you. We sometimes go overboard trying to help new tortoise-keepers. We only have your tortoise's best interest in mind.

I also bought this to use with the bulb. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440003399.053015.jpg

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Yes he was a petco employee
It's not that petco employees are bad people, but sometimes they don't receive the proper training and don't have the knowledge necessary to be selling live creatures. Even when that same employee keeps a tortoise(s) as a pet, that doesn't mean that he is caring for it properly or that the animal is thriving.

Lauren13705

It's not that petco employees are bad people, but sometimes they don't receive the proper training and don't have the knowledge necessary to be selling live creatures. Even when that same employee keeps a tortoise(s) as a pet, that doesn't mean that he is caring for it properly or that the animal is thriving.

You're very correct. The petco employee has three of his own Russians, and is a reptile breeder so he was actually correct about all of his advice, I still keep in contact with him about my tort.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
You're very correct. The petco employee has three of his own Russians, and is a reptile breeder so he was actually correct about all of his advice, I still keep in contact with him about my tort.
Thats great, it is awesome that petco has a knowledgeable person in their store...hopefully he is passing his knowledge on to other employees and customers.

Lauren13705

I would remove the hay, it's very drying. The soil is good enough for a substrate. Also, an enclosure with taller sides and larger would be the best. They should have no less then a 4x6 foot enclosure. Some humidity about 50% will help he too, even a humid hide will work. Unless you have an enclosure for him outside, then the smaller one would be fine for the nights. The log and low side should be a concern too. These guys can climb straight up trees. He will figure out a way out of there. My russian was in what I thought was an escape proof outside large enclosure for over a year and just a month ago found a way out. Also coil type bulbs can cause eye problems. If you are using one, it may not be affecting your tort, some don't have problems with them, but keep an eye out for this.
Glad you helped this guy. They do have great little personalities.

I took out most of the Timothy hay, but left a corner of it because he enjoys eating it. It helps his stool as well.