Introducing my tortoise, and his enclosure *Requested*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can find them at home improvement stores like Lowes, Home Depot, or any hardware store. Amazon.com has them too.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Quick question off topic, is it okay to peel excess loose skin from your tort?
Personally I try not to touch any loose skin. Also, I don't think torts naturally shed, usually it's an outside negative factor that is causing it. I very well could be wrong and just have turtles that never shed.
Maybe give him a soak if he has shedding skin?

Lauren13705

Personally I try not to touch any loose skin. Also, I don't think torts naturally shed, usually it's an outside negative factor that is causing it. I very well could be wrong and just have turtles that never shed.
Maybe give him a soak if he has shedding skin?

He soaks every night, just so I know he's hydrated. It's very warm so he could just be shedding from that. Also when I got him his skin wasn't good looking, now it's getting nice and soft almost leathery which I'm thankful for! He's getting healthier from when I got him at the pet store.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
He soaks every night, just so I know he's hydrated. It's very warm so he could just be shedding from that. Also when I got him his skin wasn't good looking, now it's getting nice and soft almost leathery which I'm thankful for! He's getting healthier from when I got him at the pet store.
Then maybe that's why he's shedding, because of how he was kept there. As I said, I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression healthy and well cared for torts and turtles do not shed their skin.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Exactly what I was thinking. I've had him for about 6 months and his neck just stopped shedding and is soft and clear
Then there you go.
I still wouldn't try to assist the rest of the shedding beyond very gently running your finger over the shedding skin to see if it will roll off with your finger. Any more pressure/tugging then that, and I think it could hurt possibly. Not a permanent hurt or a bad hurt, but maybe like when you pick a scab off your arm or leg too soon and so it hurts a little and starts to lightly bleed. Just my thoughts, again I could be wrong

axeman25

Central Michigan
Another thing too, you may want to remove the sand from the substrate. They can ingest it and it can cause impaction. I also had one of my russians eyes get irritated by it. The care sheets on this site offer great info. Good luck.

Lauren13705

Another thing too, you may want to remove the sand from the substrate. They can ingest it and it can cause impaction. I also had one of my russians eyes get irritated by it. The care sheets on this site offer great info. Good luck.

What do you suggest using for a substrate?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Where would I find this?
I got a giant bag of peat moss with no additives of any kind at Home Depot for cheap. I have an 8'X10' outdoor enclosure plus some hospital tanks and another fenced in area of unknown size (can't remember, but it's wider than the 8X10 but shorter so maybe 10'X6') that I have used the bag for, but I still have around half the bag left.