Introducing Oogie the DT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogie

5 Year Member
Oogie (Master Oogway) is a California Desert Tortoise! Just brought him home today! He's very curious, friendly, and active! After several laps around his enclosure, he stopped for a bite to eat...even ate some hibiscus leaves out of our hands =)
Don't know his age, but he's about 11''CL. He lived in another rescue in San Clemente for a year before joining the San Diego rescue last week. Someone turned him into the San Clemente rescue after finding him wondering the streets.

Here is Oogie enjoying the view on the ride home.
0314091252a.jpg

Here's his beautiful face
DSCI0089_1.jpg

Here are few links that show him exploring
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm25/turtlegirl_73/DSCI0090_1.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm25/turtlegirl_73/DSCI0088_1.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Congratulations!!!!
What a cute face, Oogie is a beautiful DT! I really like the pic where he looked outside of the window and the one when he gets out if his house :D.
Oogie is very lucky to have found a family that will take care of him and love him :)

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
The first picture is super cute. It looks like a child watching the scenery go by.

Evan

Oogie

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! We are very lucky to have been able to adopt him into our family =)

The weather-stripping is actually just a plastic carpet runner (2 layers) I bought at Walmart...got the idea somewhere online.

Look forward to updating you all on Oogie. This week we need to take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have bladder stones. Normally this is done prior to adopting a tort out, but he came into the rescue so healthy that they didn't want him around the other torts (which are just coming out of hibernation)...so, luckily we had already applied and were ready to take him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had to laugh out loud when I saw Oogie watching the world go by in the car. Very cute picture. I don't remember if you had a water dish in his enclosure? His eyes are a LITTLE sunken in like maybe he's a bit dehydrated. He's obviously a CB (captive bred) tortoise, and has been very well taken care of. Desert tortoises are just so out going. He's going to fit right into your family. You are both (your family and the tortoise) very lucky to have found each other.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh my gosh that is a classic picture of Oogie. I've been waiting and when I got online today there he was. I yelled for my boys to come in and see him they also loved the picture of him looking out of the car window. My boys actually are getting to know all of these tortoises online by their names. Like "Bob" Maggies sucata and "Sophie" the little Cherryhead. I always update them on what they're up to. They love to hear the stories. Good luck with him he's great looking and what a wonderful setup you have in your backyard for him to live in. He's so lucky that you guys have him now. :p Candy

Oogie

5 Year Member
i don't think i'll ever get bored of the car ride pic...i made it my wallpaper LOL

yea...he has a water dish (planter saucer thing)...totally ignored it. the lady who had Oogie told us to soak him...was going to do it, but today was unusually cold outside. i'll do it tomorrow. if it's cold again, would it be ok to soak him in the bathtub and keep a heat lamp on him indoors til he dries? or, am i just being too paranoid?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can soak him in the house in some sort of large tub. Then just towell him off and put him back outside.

Yvonne

Oogie

5 Year Member
awww...thanks, candy! my 5yr old son LOVES to look at everyone's torts, too =) pretty amazing you know them all by name :cool:
i do think torts definitely have their own individuality...one sulcata or DT doesn't look like the next...so it's gotta be easier. unlike RES's and other aquatics...they all look the same to me...and i even own a RES LOL

k...thanks, yvonne!

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
Oogie said:
Oogie (Master Oogway) is a California Desert Tortoise! Just brought him home today! He's very curious, friendly, and active! After several laps around his enclosure, he stopped for a bite to eat...even ate some hibiscus leaves out of our hands =)
Don't know his age, but he's about 11''CL. He lived in another rescue in San Clemente for a year before joining the San Diego rescue last week. Someone turned him into the San Clemente rescue after finding him wondering the streets.

Here is Oogie enjoying the view on the ride home.
0314091252a.jpg

Here's his beautiful face
DSCI0089_1.jpg

Here are few links that show him exploring
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm25/turtlegirl_73/DSCI0090_1.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm25/turtlegirl_73/DSCI0088_1.jpg

great pix.reminds me of when i lived in the majave desert.these guys were everywhere.but that was 40 years ago.good luck

M

Maggie Cummings

Gopherus agassizii are my most favorite species. You simply can't beat them for personality. They aren't shy at all, very curious and out going. They are easy to medicate because they always have their heads out making it easy to grab the neck. I just love him. He looks dry tho, so as well as having a water source for him to drink I would give him a nice warm soak tonight...how lucky you are...and so is he!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Melissa great pics of Oogie (Master Oogway), Glad to see you turned the blocks, it will make it safer for him. He is a handsom tort with what looks like a lot of curiosity and of course personallity. Congratulations :)

Oogie

5 Year Member
yea...his skin is pretty dry and flaky. he's already sleeping...i will definitely soak him in the morning! already lookin forward to watching him emerge from his burrow (dog house) =)

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Congrats on the new tort. I love the picture of him looking out the window in the car, that is so sweet!

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.