introducing oposite sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieB

5 Year Member
We have a 10 year old Leopard female who is very placid and friendly. My son recently got a 7 year old Male Leopard thinking that they would live together. He had to separate them after a few hours as the male was really getting after the female and biting her shell, she was not happy!
Is this a normal behaviour for Leopards or something else. Please advise.
I have Indian Stars and I can mix and match all as I want with no trouble at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, this is probably normal breeding activity. Male tortoises have to be pretty ornery and persistent in order to get the female to submit to his amorous advances. It helps take some of the stress off the female if you have them outside. If that can't happen, then a very large enclosure with a lot of sight barriers is helpful. After the newness of being with a female has worn off a bit he will settle down some, but this is his life's work...to procreate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You need a large enclosure with lots of sight barriers and nooks and crannies and another female or two, OR house these two separately and just put them together every once in a whole for breeding and then separate them again. In the wild a lone female would not hang out in the presence of a male for very long by choice.

RosieB

5 Year Member
Thankyou for your taking the time to reply and reassuring us that all is normal here, my son was concerned about damage being caused by his male to my female. He sees my Indian Stars which are quite different and more gentlemanly in their approach!

Status
Not open for further replies.