Introducing Peanut

Skogkatt2

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Good morning everyone! Thank you for accepting me into the forum. My name is Eric and I would like to introduce Peanut, a spunky 36g Leopard tort. He became a part of my family 5 days ago. I soak him twice daily in the sun for 20 mins and lets him walk around a bit after that for 10 mins. Surprisingly, Peanut seems unafraid of this giant bipedal very quickly.
He is in an enclosed area, 34ªC basking, 25ª-27ªC ambient to cool with a range of 60%-85% humidity. It's a lot of trouble to get the balance right, but seems 'okay' so far, but I'm continuing to monitor the habitat. I have a 75W spot bulb, a 70W Mega-Ray MVB and a 100W ceramic heater for night. I think he doesn't really like the MVB so I only switch it on for 20 mins or so in the morning to help warm up the enclosure.
It is painfully obvious that Peanut would rather be out in the sun. He perks up when he's outside, walks around a lot, nibbles on grass and hibiscus leaves, etc. but he goes to sleep mode when I put him back in the vivarium. The part that gets me is that he wakes up to eat at 8pm every night, just as I am about to switch off the lights for the night! If you're wondering, I only use the basking light now without the MVB during the day. I think I'll have to improve the lighting situation, but will wait a bit more to assess the situation better. :)
Thanks again everyone. Obligatory pictures below.
ps: I live in Hong Kong.

Attachments

• Peanut Sun4 220301 copy.JPG
    Peanut Sun4 220301 copy.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Peanut Grass 220227 copy.JPG
    Peanut Grass 220227 copy.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4713.JPG
    IMG_4713.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good morning everyone! Thank you for accepting me into the forum. My name is Eric and I would like to introduce Peanut, a spunky 36g Leopard tort. He became a part of my family 5 days ago. I soak him twice daily in the sun for 20 mins and lets him walk around a bit after that for 10 mins. Surprisingly, Peanut seems unafraid of this giant bipedal very quickly.
He is in an enclosed area, 34ªC basking, 25ª-27ªC ambient to cool with a range of 60%-85% humidity. It's a lot of trouble to get the balance right, but seems 'okay' so far, but I'm continuing to monitor the habitat. I have a 75W spot bulb, a 70W Mega-Ray MVB and a 100W ceramic heater for night. I think he doesn't really like the MVB so I only switch it on for 20 mins or so in the morning to help warm up the enclosure.
It is painfully obvious that Peanut would rather be out in the sun. He perks up when he's outside, walks around a lot, nibbles on grass and hibiscus leaves, etc. but he goes to sleep mode when I put him back in the vivarium. The part that gets me is that he wakes up to eat at 8pm every night, just as I am about to switch off the lights for the night! If you're wondering, I only use the basking light now without the MVB during the day.
Welcome from Devon, England. Peanut is absolutely lovely, and looks very bright and alert.
Best wishes from Angie

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It is painfully obvious that Peanut would rather be out in the sun. He perks up when he's outside, walks around a lot, nibbles on grass and hibiscus leaves, etc. but he goes to sleep mode when I put him back in the vivarium. The part that gets me is that he wakes up to eat at 8pm every night, just as I am about to switch off the lights for the night! If you're wondering, I only use the basking light now without the MVB during the day. I think I'll have to improve the lighting situation, but will wait a bit more to assess the situation better. :)
Peanut is a beauty. I don't know your weather conditions there. But if you can get Peanut outside in the sun for a hour 3 or 4 times a week. You can get rid of the MVB. Just don't let him overheat outside. Those type of bulbs we are finding out are bad for promoting pyramiding. Also if you have noticed he doesn't like it. The light might be hurting his eyes. Not sure in Hong Kong but most members use a UVB source from a flouresnt type tube. Arcadia offers the fixture and the light used is a HO 5.0. I will send you another post with pics of what I am talking about. Just don't have time at the moment.

Skogkatt2

Hong Kong
Peanut is a beauty. I don't know your weather conditions there. But if you can get Peanut outside in the sun for a hour 3 or 4 times a week. You can get rid of the MVB. Just don't let him overheat outside. Those type of bulbs we are finding out are bad for promoting pyramiding. Also if you have noticed he doesn't like it. The light might be hurting his eyes. Not sure in Hong Kong but most members use a UVB source from a flouresnt type tube. Arcadia offers the fixture and the light used is a HO 5.0. I will send you another post with pics of what I am talking about. Just don't have time at the moment.
Thanks @Ray--Opo! Yea, I noticed that Peanut tend to hide when the mvb comes on. See the last picture of the vivarium? Switched mvb on to take picture, and Peanut went straight off to hide behind the plant.

Skogkatt2

Hong Kong
About weather, HK is sunny, about 16ª-25ªC this week. Last week there was a cold snap and went down to 6ªC. Was really worried for the tortoise. During the Summer, it can be a scorching 32ªC with 90% humidity; kinda perfect for leopards and sulcatas isn't it? :) It kinda surprised me when I came to HK (I'm from Malaysia); that there are MANY people with sulcatas here in the concrete jungle. I've seen different (old) people taking a stroll on the street with a large sulcata side-by-side. Okay it was not downtown HK city but still...

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
About weather, HK is sunny, about 16ª-25ªC this week. Last week there was a cold snap and went down to 6ªC. Was really worried for the tortoise. During the Summer, it can be a scorching 32ªC with 90% humidity; kinda perfect for leopards and sulcatas isn't it? :) It kinda surprised me when I came to HK (I'm from Malaysia); that there are MANY people with sulcatas here in the concrete jungle. I've seen different (old) people taking a stroll on the street with a large sulcata side-by-side. Okay it was not downtown HK city but still...
That would be great to see. Yes trying to keep 80% humidity will stop pyramiding of the carapace. Your setup looks great.

Skogkatt2

Hong Kong
That would be great to see. Yes trying to keep 80% humidity will stop pyramiding of the carapace. Your setup looks great.
Thank you. I'm considering your advice about getting sunlight for an hour each day and ridding the MVB. That's probably best!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you. I'm considering your advice about getting sunlight for an hour each day and ridding the MVB. That's probably best!
Just watch overheating.Also it needs to be direct sunlight. Not thru glass or screens. That will filter out the UVB. In your enclosure don't be afraid of pouring water directly on the substrate. I mean you don't want standing water, but you can figure what it will take for the substrate to soak it up. Only spraying water is a hard way to keep the humidity up consistently.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
And I would be careful about soaking while out in the sunshine, hard to tell if the lil dude is overheating...

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Aw' reminds me of when my Lil dude, Seymour :tort:, showed up 2 1/2 years ago. He is now going on 1550 g. Peanut :tort:IS a cutie....

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Welcome!😁