Introducing Puka!

mila.d

Location (City and/or State)
CT
Hello! My name is Camila and I live in CT. I recently got my new Russian tortoise Puka from a breeder in California. I think Puka is about 2 months old. Puka looks very healthy from what I can see and I'm hoping to keep it that way. I am using a closed top enclosure and I am using a combination uvb, uva heat lamp with a che bulb at night. Im constantly measuring temp and humidity with a humidity gauge and a infrared thermometer. The substrate I am using is coco coir and with a bit of dept so Puka can burrow in (which he or she loves to do). I soak Puka everyday for about 15 minutes and spray the enclosure every few hours. For water I have a 4 inch terracotta saucer. For now I've been feeding Puka collard greens and turnip greens with a little bit of calcium and a multivitamin sprinkled on top every few days. I also keep a cuttlebone in there if needed. I know the best diet is a diet based on weeds so I am starting a garden to grow stuff like dandelion, chicory, and clover. I also bought a slate basking platform for Puka. I am hoping to buy some type of scale to measure Puka's growth and I plan on building a larger enclosure for Puka in the summer. I will continue to do more research and try my best to ensure Puka has a happy and healthy life! I would like to know if there is growth milestones I should look out for or maybe if there is a certain growth rate Puka should be growing at. I also know that overfeeding can become a problem for Russian tortoises so is there a certain amount I should be feeding Puka? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220304-213502.png
    Screenshot_20220304-213502.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220304-213452.png
    Screenshot_20220304-213452.png
    903.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220304-213545.png
    Screenshot_20220304-213545.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, Puka is a beauty!
I know some members feed their tort the amount of food is the same as the size of your tort. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome. Puka looks lovely. I don't think you will be overfeeding him as long as you give him the correct food - as you say,weeds are best, and they are grazing animals, so in the wild they eat on and off during the day -just put out as much as would fit into Puka's shell if you think of it as a bowl, and then top it up if it all gets eaten.
I feed our Hermanns tortoise at intervals during the day, rather than putting out too much at once, and letting it dry out - but I am home most of the day, so I can do that - when Puka has established a feeding routine with you, you will know what works out best, and adjust things, but don't worry if some days Puka eats more than others.
Best wishes from Angie

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello and welcome. Puka looks lovely. I don't think you will be overfeeding him as long as you give him the correct food - as you say,weeds are best, and they are grazing animals, so in the wild they eat on and off during the day -just put out as much as would fit into Puka's shell if you think of it as a bowl, and then top it up if it all gets eaten.
I feed our Hermanns tortoise at intervals during the day, rather than putting out too much at once, and letting it dry out - but I am home most of the day, so I can do that - when Puka has established a feeding routine with you, you will know what works out best, and adjust things, but don't worry if some days Puka eats more than others.
Best wishes from Angie
You worded the example of amount of food better than me. I will remember your explanation. 😁