Introducing Tokyo!

DavidZ

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello everyone my name is David & I have a pet sulcata named Tokyo! He is a male roughly 3 years old (not entirely sure since I didn’t get him from a baby). I am actually wondering if there is anyone in the LA area who can give advice on Sulcata’s mating season? I believe mine is experiencing his first hormones or whatever it’s called for tortoises, & im not sure what to do. Whether to wait it out or maybe start looking to find him a partner. If anyone can help us out that would be greatly appreciated! Cant wait to hear from you guys

Attachments

• 1DF51FB5-69AB-4303-8E1E-BC9DE25B33DE.jpeg
    1DF51FB5-69AB-4303-8E1E-BC9DE25B33DE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just enjoy him as your pet. He does not need to breed. They are solitary animals and do not need a friend either.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome, agree enjoy your tort and no friend or breeding. There are many expert breeders and many tortoises that have tough lives as they get too big and owners end up having to rehome.

There is also a deadly disease (search yellow bumps on this forum) spreading around so another reason to enjoy what you have and provide best possible care as he grows into a tank!

Please read below composed from an experienced breeder and check your setting, substrate, set up and hydration......
Ask questions as required

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello everyone my name is David & I have a pet sulcata named Tokyo! He is a male roughly 3 years old (not entirely sure since I didn’t get him from a baby). I am actually wondering if there is anyone in the LA area who can give advice on Sulcata’s mating season? I believe mine is experiencing his first hormones or whatever it’s called for tortoises, & im not sure what to do. Whether to wait it out or maybe start looking to find him a partner. If anyone can help us out that would be greatly appreciated! Cant wait to hear from you guys
Welcome - Tokyo looks a handsome fellow. There are many male sulcatas on this forum who have never met a female, and probably never will. They are perfectly ok - however, like other types of tortoise, they may like to amuse themselves with some object which remotely resembles a female - a rock, a plant holder - my Hermann's tortoise has a "romantic" relationship with a large plastic tortoise, as well as my shoes ! You will find lots of examples on this forum - and Tokyo may well start exercising his male parts on something - but that doesn't mean he needs a female. If you introduced a female, he would be attacking her constantly.
Don't worry - Tokyo won't exactly lose this behaviour, but it won't do him any harm.
Angie