introduction, also discussing what Tort to get

pillow

Location (City and/or State)
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
hey there, my name is Pillowdo, I'm From the KSA I'm 15 years old. so I really want to talk to you about how I got my interest to reptiles, where I started and the journey I went through, but I'll keep it fast and simple ;)

So, I googled ALOT about turtles considering I was kinda interested in geting one ("that's a long story") but I think I'm more of a Tortoise guy, Calm, "cold", and chill.
so Here's my plan, I'm making a DIY Turtle box, ----------------------------------------------------------------
f088e0a2ac40d2fe2932f2660fc3e99f.jpg

table-2-1024x770.jpg

it'll look something like those, I'm also hoping to get 1 tortoise. I also know they don't get Bored/lonely
only because I'm planning on keeping him till the very day I die.
I know that sounds ridiculous becouse you have to consider things like going to collage, marriage, work and so on, but I really can see this happening,
anyways, so I'm still not sure about what tortoise to get, so I might need help with that, I heared there is no such thing as the "best tortoise" and it's more of a pros & cons situation. he'll be in-doors, also in the winter, it get's a little chilly in here (unless the Heater lamp will cover that issue ) so yea, any recommendations?
also, I'll be linking the item's I'm planning on getting: UVB bulb, heater lamp, Food plate, water plate and decorations. anyways I'm just confused on what Tortoise species to get,
-all my regards, Pillowdo

upload_2018-2-20_18-28-8.jpeg upload_2018-2-20_18-28-14.jpeg upload_2018-2-20_18-30-20.jpeg upload_2018-2-20_18-34-56.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hello Please! Welcome to the Forum.
Let's start with enclosure size with our discussion. The photos you show are cute looking tort tables but they are actually to small. For even some of the smallest types of torts it is recommended to have an enclosure that is at least 4x8ft once grown. There is also the option of making a "two-story" enclosure to conserve space in a room. But they do need plenty of space.
Next let me ask if you have a preference for an adult tort or would you rather start with a hatchling?
Do you have a preference for a tort that will be able to Brumate(hybernate) in the winter if you choose or would you prefer a non-brumating type?
It's wonderful that your doing research before getting a tort. Because with proper care they really are lifetime pets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I agree with the above. The tort tables shown in your pictures might be ok for a baby tortoise for a year or so, but it's way too small for a grown tortoise. And if you put a baby in there you have to figure out how to cover it because babies do best in closed chambers.

pillow

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
my sensior apologies! I retyped my Forum a couple of times and also Checked it 3 times before posting and I could've sworn I Said The photo's are more of a design Example, I also talked about the size, but I guess I deleted it and forgot to retype it, anyways.
for the size, I do want it really large, but I'm not sure about the exact size, I want to know where I'll be putting him, if it's on the desk then I'll make it as big (or bigger) then my desk so it would fit perfectly and look nice, so I'm not positive about the size till now,

but it'll for sure be bigger then this mouse house xD.

(typing my next reply for the questions you've asked @Bambam1989 )

pillow

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
@Bambam1989 ,
Next let me ask if you have a preference for an adult tort or would you rather start with a hatchling?
well, I have no experience with hatchlings, so I'm alittle worried, considering that they're alot more vulnerable.
but if I'm over thinking this then I do prefer him being a hatchling.

Do you have a preference for a tort that will be able to Brumate(hybernate) in the winter if you choose or would you prefer a non-brumating type?
honestly, I don't mind both. but if I had to choose between the two I prefer a Brumate type.

Bambam1989

East Texas
@Bambam1989 ,

well, I have no experience with hatchlings, so I'm alittle worried, considering that they're alot more vulnerable.
but if I'm over thinking this then I do prefer him being a hatchling.

honestly, I don't mind both. but if I had to choose between the two I prefer a Brumate type.
If everything is setup properly and you get it from someone who starts the hatchling well(not the dry method) then a hatchling is not difficult at all. Once you decide what type we can help by giving you recommendations on breeders so you get a hatchling from a good source and you know it's healthy.
Some types of brumating torts would be..
Russian (aka horsefield)
Greeks
Hermanns
Egyptians

You can go into the species specific section of the forum to learn more about these torts and what their care requirements are. Feel free to ask about their personalities or anything else. I don't personally keep any of these species but many on the forum do.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome pillowdo! It’s so smart to ask these questions before you buy a tortoise, most folks don’t.

For some of our other members living relatively close to KSA, I noticed some have limited access to a vet, equipment or certain types of food. Is that a consideration? Actually, I’m wondering how do you even get a tortoise of any kind in the KSA? Is that a common pet?

Also, when you say “a little chilly in here” do you mean KSA in general or inside your house? Around eighteen celsius is fine for Russian tortoise night temperaturs; not sure about the other types. Not everyone needs a night heating source.

pillow

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
" @RosemaryDW
I noticed some have limited access to a vet,

I may have to disagree with that point. where I live we do have plenty (wouldn't say the best) but we do have some

equipment or certain types of food. Is that a consideration? Actually, I’m wondering how do you even get a tortoise of any kind in the KSA? Is that a common pet?

for the equipment, I'm getting them online from amazon international, and I'm also getting the tortoise Online as well.
And No, it isn't a common pet around here, you will mostly (95%) see RES turtles everywhere, poor creatures ...

“a little chilly in here” do you mean KSA in general or inside your house?

well, I'll be completely honest, I'm not the kind of guy that would care much about the temp, and I Don't remember ever looking at the temp before going outside, for a general idea, go to Google and type "Riyadh temp" and
It'll automatically show you this weeks weather, ++ here's some info you might want to know

"Annual Weather Averages. July is the hottest month in Riyadh with an average temperature of 96°F (36°C) and the coldest is January at 59°F (15°C) with the most daily sunshine hours at 11 in July. The wettest month is April with an average of 25mm of rain"

Around eighteen celsius is fine for Russian tortoise night temperaturs

wow. very impressive, I'll be honest, I searched for a couple of tortoises, they all look alike. (besides the Red-footed tortoise)
so I might very much consider getting a Russian tortoise :tort::<3:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Welcome! I lived in Riyadh once for about a year a really long time ago (before you were born).