Introduction and Care Plan

JaredT

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello all my name is Jared and I live near Cleveland Ohio. I've been doing my research and finally decided to get a Russian/Horsfield hatchling from @Carol S (she's been great at answering my questions). This is my first reptile, most of my experience has been with hamsters, gerbils, and dogs. I have read the care sheets and more threads than I care to mention and this is the care plan I have come up with. Any advice or criticism is welcome, I just want to make sure the little dude has the best quality of life possible. Thanks in advance!
  • Enclosure: 55 Gallon tote to start while I build a 4'x4'x2' wood/pond sealer enclosure (I will build and connect a second once fully grown) The tote will double as my sunning enclosure w/ shade.
  • Substrate: 4-6" coco coir, will switch to orchid bark when older
  • Heat: 10in brooding lamp with 75 incandescent flood bulb to start (adjust based on temp of ~95 at shell height). I will get a CHE on a thermometer if my house gets too cold in winter. (Plus LED lighting)
  • UVB: 3-4x 1hr in sun a week until winter (Is this enough time outside?), then use 36" T5 HO light with 10.0 bulb for 4h a day (Should I try to fit a 48" or does it even make a difference?).
  • Hydration: Soak everyday ~20min with warm water (especially after sun), 2x 4" plant saucers, humid hide w/ 90+% humidity, and 40-80% humidity in tank.
  • Food: Safe local plants from yard and local parks. Endive, escarole, and various other store greens in winter. I also plan to buy seeds to grow food starting next spring.
  • Supplements: Calcium(no d3) and TNT Total Nutrition twice a week. Cuttlebone in enclosure. Additional fiber when using grocery store foods.

Thanks again, if I missed anything let me know.

(Here's the one I have reserved until their habitat is ready!)
Screenshot_20240920-174551-EDIT.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum to you and your beautiful little tortoise! Someone who is more experienced than I am, will show up to comment on your plans and make important recommendations.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all my name is Jared and I live near Cleveland Ohio. I've been doing my research and finally decided to get a Russian/Horsfield hatchling from @Carol S (she's been great at answering my questions). This is my first reptile, most of my experience has been with hamsters, gerbils, and dogs. I have read the care sheets and more threads than I care to mention and this is the care plan I have come up with. Any advice or criticism is welcome, I just want to make sure the little dude has the best quality of life possible. Thanks in advance!
  • Enclosure: 55 Gallon tote to start while I build a 4'x4'x2' wood/pond sealer enclosure (I will build and connect a second once fully grown) The tote will double as my sunning enclosure w/ shade.
  • Substrate: 4-6" coco coir, will switch to orchid bark when older
  • Heat: 10in brooding lamp with 75 incandescent flood bulb to start (adjust based on temp of ~95 at shell height). I will get a CHE on a thermometer if my house gets too cold in winter. (Plus LED lighting)
  • UVB: 3-4x 1hr in sun a week until winter (Is this enough time outside?), then use 36" T5 HO light with 10.0 bulb for 4h a day (Should I try to fit a 48" or does it even make a difference?).
  • Hydration: Soak everyday ~20min with warm water (especially after sun), 2x 4" plant saucers, humid hide w/ 90+% humidity, and 40-80% humidity in tank.
  • Food: Safe local plants from yard and local parks. Endive, escarole, and various other store greens in winter. I also plan to buy seeds to grow food starting next spring.
  • Supplements: Calcium(no d3) and TNT Total Nutrition twice a week. Cuttlebone in enclosure. Additional fiber when using grocery store foods.

Thanks again, if I missed anything let me know.

(Here's the one I have reserved until their habitat is ready!)
View attachment 379612
Hello and welcome. Very few people get it right the first time, but if you've been talking with Carol, I am not surprised. She is awesome.

Your whole plan sounds great. I have 3 little comments.
1. HO tube length does matter. 24 inches is enough and no harm in the 48 inch as line as the height is set correctly and they have "shade" available.
2. I'd use calcium with D3. It's relatively small amounts in those supplements and it won't hurt anything to give it if they don't need it. In your more Northern climate, UV levels will be relatively low except in mid summer, so the extra help will be beneficial. This is not critical at all, and with the routine you spelled out above, you will never see even a hint of MBD. This is more just a preference of mine that I thought I'd share. I prefer the "RepCal" brand.
3. I would not use any greens collected from a public park. Grounds keepers there use all sorts of toxins, and frequently their managers and supervisors don't even know about it.

JaredT

Ohio
Hello and welcome. Very few people get it right the first time, but if you've been talking with Carol, I am not surprised. She is awesome.

Your whole plan sounds great. I have 3 little comments.
1. HO tube length does matter. 24 inches is enough and no harm in the 48 inch as line as the height is set correctly and they have "shade" available.
2. I'd use calcium with D3. It's relatively small amounts in those supplements and it won't hurt anything to give it if they don't need it. In your more Northern climate, UV levels will be relatively low except in mid summer, so the extra help will be beneficial. This is not critical at all, and with the routine you spelled out above, you will never see even a hint of MBD. This is more just a preference of mine that I thought I'd share. I prefer the "RepCal" brand.
3. I would not use any greens collected from a public park. Grounds keepers there use all sorts of toxins, and frequently their managers and supervisors don't even know about it.
Thank you for the advice, this is just what I needed. I'll get the d3 calcium next time I order and stick to store greens until I can get my own growing. The uv advice is helpful too.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!

Your plan sounds great! Only one thing of note for me is you’re aiming for 80 humidity all over 24/7, 40 would be too low for a baby, but with a good closed chamber, you’ll have no problems achieving that😊

Best of luck on this wonderful new journey🐢💚

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

Your plan sounds great! Only one thing of note for me is you’re aiming for 80 humidity all over 24/7, 40 would be too low for a baby, but with a good closed chamber, you’ll have no problems achieving that😊

Best of luck on this wonderful new journey🐢💚
80-40% humidity gradient is natural (following the temperature gradient between basking area and the rest of the enclosure).

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I think it is more common in Russian tortoise temps than redfoot temps.
Oh absolutely, adults for sure too, for babies though in closed chambers with a good damp under layer, I’ve not heard someone get that low a reading in a well built closed set up, maybe directly under the basking bulb, but even then I’ve seen most people say it’s in the 60 range, 50’s absolute lowest