Introduction and query

tracey4706

Hi, I am a newbie here on the Tortoise Forum. I live in West Sussex UK and have a 7 year old Hermanns Tortoise, who we have had since she was 10 months old. She is called Daisy. I have always hibernated her in our spare fridge with no problems, gradually increasing the hibernation time each year. Yesterday when I woke her up she appears to have a lump/growth on the side of her head? This wasn't there prior to hibernation I believe. Has anyone any ideas what this may be? Apart from that she is absolutely fineImageUploadedByTortForum1394962363.765824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO fromAZ, USA . To me it looks like a ear abbess . ImageUploadedByTortForum1394977395.051489.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394977395.051489.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

At first I thought that you were joking about the ball next to the tortoise's head, but then I thought maybe you just put the ball there for a size comparison and the tortoise really does have a bump.

If the bump is in the spot where an ear would be on the tortoise's head, then Grandpa has told you true - an ear abscess. It will have to be lanced by a vet. Ear abscesses show up because the tortoise has some sort of infection someplace in his body. He will need to be put on antibiotics.

tracey4706

Thank you so much for your advice. Here is a pic of what I am talking about .... Prob should have put this on here earlier.ImageUploadedByTortForum1394985084.413988.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I don't think that's an ear abscess. That just looks like a flake of skin. Can you pick at it?

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
It's kind of hard to see. Is it the sort of pointy thing, or is there a lighter color bump above that?

An abscess is normally more roundish... but I can't really tell if the lighter area is a bump, or just some lighter coloration and smoother texture that makes it appear as a bump.

If it's the pointy thing your concerned about, could it just be sort of a clump of dry skin/scale that collected/hardened while hibernating? (so then, when he popped his head out, it sort of stuck up?-- is it hard and dry?)

tracey4706

I think maybe you are right have picked at it, looks more like a loose skin scale but should I pick it right off? She doesn't seem to like me moving it. Somehow it looked bigger yesterday! Seemed more bulbous. Do they shed scales?