Introduction and recommendation on what light to purchase

Ann W

Location (City and/or State)
Mission Viejo
My name is Ann and I live in Orange County CA. I am the new owner of an adult male Russian tortoise I named Atlas. I bought a 55 gallon Rubbermaid container for him and put Zoo Med eco earth in it that I dried out. He has a water dish and I sprinkle Repashy super veggie supplement and mazuri small tortoise diet LS on his greens. I take him outside to stroll around in my cinderblock fenced backyard And keep a close eye on him. I need to purchase a light for his enclosure and need help on what to buy. I own dogs And there are birds of prey, raccoons, coyotes, etc out here so I can’t just let him run loose in the backyard. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
My name is Ann and I live in Orange County CA. I am the new owner of an adult male Russian tortoise I named Atlas. I bought a 55 gallon Rubbermaid container for him and put Zoo Med eco earth in it that I dried out. He has a water dish and I sprinkle Repashy super veggie supplement and mazuri small tortoise diet LS on his greens. I take him outside to stroll around in my cinderblock fenced backyard And keep a close eye on him. I need to purchase a light for his enclosure and need help on what to buy. I own dogs And there are birds of prey, raccoons, coyotes, etc out here so I can’t just let him run loose in the backyard. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks

If you have the room in your backyard you can easily build an outdoor enclosure specifically for your adult Russian tortoise. Here is an example taken from one of @Tom care sheets:
img_2516-jpg.291555

Use chicken wire to protect the top. Hinges and locks to prevent others from opening the top. 8ft x 4ft is usually the minimum members would suggest but bigger is always better. You can even use cinder block as walls. One of the easiest examples of a suitable outdoor enclosure.

You wouldn't really need to bother with lights if you housed your tortoise outside. You may require a night time humid/heat box depending on how long your temperature drops in the evening. That's something you can easily build as an addition to the enclosure.

Here is a care sheet guide on Russian Tortoises. Answers practically 90% of all new owner questions:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If your tortoise gets natural sun just a few hours a week then you don't need a special bulb indoors. Just use a regular LED light.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
She will also need a basking bulb...
Ya I always forget that. When people ask what special light they need my mind immediately goes to UVB.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where do I buy a basking bulb. Is there a certain brand that everyone likes?
Can't get the correct type in CA anymore. Our elected government overlords have decided that incandescent light bulbs are not in our best interest, so King Newsome banned their sale in the entire state.

You'll have to have someone in another state order them on Amazon for you and have them shipped to your house.

65 watt floods work for most situations. Your thermometer will be your guide.

Ann W

Mission Viejo
Thanks for all the advice. I have purchased a zoo Med deep dome lamp fixture for uvb 24 hr hear or daylight lamps, a 100 w power sun self ballasted mercury vapor uvb lamp(uva, uvb, heat all in one lamp) and a light stand. As I reported before I am housing my Russian in a 55 gln Rubbermaid container. I am now concerned about whether this lamp will melt my container. Is there some protection I could put inside The sides of the container like thin plywood. I intend to build up a Little Piles of Small rocksand put a larger flat rock on top that Atlas can bask on. I am also concerned about exposure to me from the Uva and uvb Exposure for me if I am in the same room with him in the container. I have to get a thermometer but believe he can tolerate temp up to 100 degrees and would go by himself to a shaded area In the container if he wants to. I will never have the light on when I am not home. I still take him out for real sunlight too. I have found he doesn’t want to eat chopped up greens in his container or outside but will eat whole leaves When he is outside and doesn’t like them on a paper plate ? right now I have the container if my family room but may move it to my living room if the Iva and uvb Light exposure is an issue to me Look forward to all ur suggestions.

Agathaade

Los Angeles
Maybe I missed something, but is there something keeping you from building a secure enclosure outdoors and letting your tortoise live outside?
Outdoors in OC sounds pretty great for an adult russian.
You wouldn’t have to worry about lights at all.
I’m saying this because going back inside to a 55 gallon tank, depending on how much of the day he/she spends there, that sounds small.
You could have it outside during the day and indoors for the night in a simple set up, alternatively.

I’m in LA with a testudo and the climate is well suited to them. Mine is only not outside yet because it’s still a baby.

I’ll let others more knowledgeable comment on the mercury vapor bulb in a plastic tub, I have never used mine, as I was told they’re too hot and drying for young tortoises.

Ann W

Mission Viejo
Maybe I missed something, but is there something keeping you from building a secure enclosure outdoors and letting your tortoise live outside?
Outdoors in OC sounds pretty great for an adult russian.
You wouldn’t have to worry about lights at all.
I’m saying this because going back inside to a 55 gallon tank, depending on how much of the day he/she spends there, that sounds small.
You could have it outside during the day and indoors for the night in a simple set up, alternatively.

I’m in LA with a testudo and the climate is well suited to them. Mine is only not outside yet because it’s still a baby.

I’ll let others more knowledgeable comment on the mercury vapor bulb in a plastic tub, I have never used mine, as I was told they’re too hot and drying for young tortoises.
Thanks for ur info. I own dogs and in my neighborhood there are red tailed hawks, coyotes that can jump 6- fences, raccoons, rats, crows (mountain lions are out here too but so far they have not been spotted directLy in my neighborhood-thank goodness). I always stay out there with him And the dogs are in the house when he is enjoying the outdoors. Thus I am concerned about housing him outside. Ex. It was 108 degrees yesterday and 104 today. Dropping to mid 60s at night and winter time will be cooler

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for all the advice. I have purchased a zoo Med deep dome lamp fixture for uvb 24 hr hear or daylight lamps, a 100 w power sun self ballasted mercury vapor uvb lamp(uva, uvb, heat all in one lamp) and a light stand. As I reported before I am housing my Russian in a 55 gln Rubbermaid container. I am now concerned about whether this lamp will melt my container. Is there some protection I could put inside The sides of the container like thin plywood. I intend to build up a Little Piles of Small rocksand put a larger flat rock on top that Atlas can bask on. I am also concerned about exposure to me from the Uva and uvb Exposure for me if I am in the same room with him in the container. I have to get a thermometer but believe he can tolerate temp up to 100 degrees and would go by himself to a shaded area In the container if he wants to. I will never have the light on when I am not home. I still take him out for real sunlight too. I have found he doesn’t want to eat chopped up greens in his container or outside but will eat whole leaves When he is outside and doesn’t like them on a paper plate ? right now I have the container if my family room but may move it to my living room if the Iva and uvb Light exposure is an issue to me Look forward to all ur suggestions.
That POWERSUN MVB, UVA, UVB and heat lamp is pure and total garbage (and expensive too)
Quickly see if you can get a refund.
You DID ask.
Sorry we didn't specify what NOT to buy.
No coil or spiral CFL UVB bulbs.
And no Mercury VAPOR "all in one" bulbs.
All crap at best. And dangerous to use at worst

Ann W

Mission Viejo
That POWERSUN MVB, UVA, UVB and heat lamp is pure and total garbage (and expensive too)
Quickly see if you can get a refund.
You DID ask.
Sorry we didn't specify what NOT to buy.
No coil or spiral CFL UVB bulbs.
And no Mercury VAPOR "all in one" bulbs.
All crap at best. And dangerous to use at worst
I bought it from chewy and should be able to return it. Pls tell me name brand kind to buy and where to buy it. I would really appreciate ur help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use this and this:
A CHE and a T5.
Pet shops sell CHE. They need a ceramic type fixture/reflector because of the high heat. About $20 I use 50 watt ones.
Its possible that you have your high heat MVB screwed into one already.
LLL REPTILES and BIG AL'S PETS sell the T5 florescent fixtures. About $50. These are complete and ready to use.

Attachments

• 20200131_082139.jpg
    20200131_082139.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 6

Ann W

Mission Viejo
I use this and this:
A CHE and a T5.
Pet shops sell CHE. They need a ceramic type fixture/reflector because of the high heat. About $20 I use 50 watt ones.
Its possible that you have your high heat MVB screwed into one already.
LLL REPTILES and BIG AL'S PETS sell the T5 florescent fixtures. About $50. These are complete and ready to use.
I spoke to chewy about returning the lamp bulb which is brand new. I have not taken it out of the box yet. They credited my credit card but do Not want me to return it to them. Does some One want it.