Introduction: New member from Texas

Trina Hinote

Location (City and/or State)
Humble, TX
Hello! I am new to this forum and I have 2 male sulcata tortoises. They are almost 2 years old and are named JoJo and ArLo. They were originally Christmas gifts for my son and daughter but quickly became my pets and I LOVE THEM! Unless something happens to me, with me is where they will remain! I am way too attached now!!

I just recently built them an outdoor enclosure that is approx 5'x8' for them to have some safe outdoor exercise. Is this size enclosure sufficient?

Loritort

Hello! I am new to this forum and I have 2 male sulcata tortoises. They are almost 2 years old and are named JoJo and ArLo. They were originally Christmas gifts for my son and daughter but quickly became my pets and I LOVE THEM! Unless something happens to me, with me is where they will remain! I am way too attached now!!

I just recently built them an outdoor enclosure that is approx 5'x8' for them to have some safe outdoor exercise. Is this size enclosure sufficient?

I don't think that will be big enough.
I am also attached to my sweet boy tortie so I get where you're coming from.

Trina Hinote

Humble, TX
Is that just spot to catch some rays every now and then or they permanently live outside? That's a small space for 1 let alone 2.

It's just a place to catch rays and let them hang out safely. If I'm out there I let them free roam the back yard. They sleep inside. Right now they are still pretty small maybe 6 to 8 inches. I'm hoping by letting them out more and roaming in the natural sunlight it will help them grow.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Trina! Welcome to the Forum! I am in Texas as well in Austin area, and share the part of your story where you got the torts as gifts for your kids and ended up taking over their care completely falling in love with them. My torts are the Redfooted, I also made a mistake of buying two and not 1! Mine are also 2 yrs old and just very recently started displaying some hormonal or territorial behaviors. I've been lucky to be able to stick around watching them during their meals and daily baths and there seem to be some signs which from being on this forum for 2 yrs I know, can not be ignored even though now seem pretty benign. This whole time (2 yrs) I've been preparing for separating them (or adding couple girls to the group) and this maybe the time to start implementing my long term plans for separate enclosures, sleep quarters, feeding areas etc. My understanding is also that my species (RF) tend to be more docile in groups. Couples are generally strongly discouraged in any species so hopefully you have a nice big place for your 2 sullys to keep them from hurting each other or one (the dominant one) growing big, happy, healthy and the other one (the submissive one) with stunted growth, poor appetite, failure to put on weight, picking up viral/bacterial infections from constant stress and eventually withering away. We all want whats best for our pets, and fortunately have this forum which is a great and most reliable resource we can always rely on to give us best most up to date info to make informed decisions. Trina, it is great to have you here! I'll be looking forward to your posts and pics of your sullies:)

Leapin

Welcome! You will enjoy this forum- there is a plethora of information and if you can't find what you're looking for just ask! Very one is very helpful! I have a Red Foot and a Three Toed Box Turtle. When I was first given Lu (unexpectedly) I had to put him with the box turtle. What I thought was cute, friendly behavior was actually bullying! My little Arlington (three toed) was not happy with his new buddy. I separated them as soon as I could. They have to take turns in the outside enclosure and in the inside 'exercise room' because, even with all that space, Arlington finds Lu and pushes him around a bit. I'm enamored with both my turtles (and my sliders) so I completely understand where you are coming from! Enjoy!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm just down the freeway in New Caney. I have some big sulcatas here .My granddaughter just loves them.

Attachments

• 1503023975594.jpg
    1503023975594.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1503023998934.jpg
    1503023998934.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1503024135925.jpg
    1503024135925.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 17

Trina Hinote

Humble, TX
Thanks everyone!
So far I haven't had too much "sibling rivalry" but from everything I've read it's inevitable. Because they are still small enough I can put them in my front yard flower bed and they can't get over the bricks and if I'm in the backyard I have to put my big dog inside because he's an a-hole. I let them roam out back for a couple of hours while I relax. It's funny to watch them outside because the minute I put them down they literally head in opposite directions! My husband and I will have to re-evaluate our outdoor enclosure for sure!

This was the boys 1.5 years ago! Look at those adorable legs dangling! I obviously had to make other feeding arrangements! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_3023.JPG
    IMG_3023.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3024.JPG
    IMG_3024.JPG
    585.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 17

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They're cool little guys . I started 6 years ago with one red footed tortoise. Now I have 7 . I got a sulcata from Kelly that he rescued now I have 3 . I've had red ear sliders for years . Turtles and tortoises are awesome animals .Here is a picture of my little man Tuck. I've had him a long time . He loves to have his head rubbed. He will come up on the ramp when he sees you . Loves attention .

Attachments

• 1503063180385.jpg
    1503063180385.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 14

Trina Hinote

Humble, TX
Mike you must live on a nice size piece of property!! That's what I want...acreage! I want some land so I can get some mini-donkeys and calves! Plus a large play area for my dogs and tortoises

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nope not at all . I got 3/4 acre . Just got to plan it out and it works out.