Introduction, New Sulcata owner

A.Vazquez

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Hi all, my name is Amanda. I've always been fascinated with tortoises and did what I NEVER do with any new addition.. I impulse bought without heavy research today. I've been studying heavily all day since we bought our little Bruce and have discovered EVERYTHING the pet store has told us was pure bs. I've read many articles on here already and want to send a HUGE THANK YOU for the guidance. I am confused on a few points so I'm sure I'll be asking questions. I want nothing but the best for my little guy. (We think it's a Male, honestly it's too small to really make a sure call just yet.)
Bruce is friendly and outgoing and seems to like being loved on. He is snoozing here (I think lol he doesnt hide when held so I could only assume he went to sleep)
I cleaned him using warm water and a soft toothbrush, is that ok? He was quite dirty. I only brushed his shell softly and rubbed his legs extremely gently he didnt seem to mind.

20190606_203235.jpg 20190606_211817.jpg 20190606_203324.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

A.Vazquez

San Antonio
Thank you! I've read it as well as many others on here. Been reading since 9pm it is now 637 am. I've made a few changes to the babys enclosure. Pet store had me set up with a desert like enclosure I cant imagine the horrible care this baby has endured. Trying to get temp and humidity regulated before I get some sleep. I'm worried about the little one. It seems to be fine. Was active and eating well yesterday. Grass even! I cut it into little pieces. They sold me box turtle food and said it was the same I'm scrambling to make up for my mistakes. They estimated Bruce to be 4-6 months old, is there a way to tell for sure? I certainly dont trust them any longer!

A.Vazquez

San Antonio
Put light in tank (though it's the wrong type of light) and covered in foil to help with humidity and heat retention. Added cardboard hide until store opens. List to order from Amazon. Any recommendations on changes before I place the order?

20190607_065243.jpg 20190607_065155.jpg 20190607_065143.jpg 20190607_065212.jpg Screenshot_20190607-071535_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190607-071527_Chrome.jpg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Welcome! Just a suggestion regarding your setup - I might recommend replacing that sand(?) with either coco coir or fine grade orchid moss. It retains the moisture a lot better for one, and I'd be afraid that what you are using now might cause an impaction if ingested.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Your list looks good. The only one I wouldn't get is the digital thermometer. I've used that type and they are nowhere near accurate. I get mine at the hardware store Lowes sell the Accurite brand and they work pretty well.

Show us a plastron pic, and we might be able to tell you something about the age.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, pet stores usually get it wrong.

Lots of plants in the enclosure help to hold in the humidity. I like to keep the plants in their pots so the tortoises can't reach the actual plant, but I use plants with a nice overhang so there's someplace extra for the baby to hide under.

A.Vazquez

San Antonio
Thank you all for the advise! Its ground walnut shell, I even asked about impactment (I know it can happen with other reptiles) they said not to worry this would do the trick. Thanks to the forums here and the advise posted I now know that is wrong. I'm searching for fine grade orchid bark, having trouble finding it without it being mixed with orchid moss, would it be ok to get a mixture? Here are several plastron pics. One of its eyes is slightly closed (has been since I got it) I dont have a pic at the moment since I'm at work but it's starting to worry me. Little one is eating and urate(?) Excretion when bathing has happened once. Looked like a small green soft pellet. Bathing 2x a day for 30 min at a time. (since enclosure isnt holding as much humidity as needed)
Seems a bit sluggish today, tried to eat some grass, I found sunflowers (no pesticides) on my way to work, my husband will feed the nettles and leaves in a bit and see if its interested in eating that. Mostly it just wants to bask and nap right now.

Attachments

• 20190607_144126.jpg
    20190607_144126.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190607_144125.jpg
    20190607_144125.jpg
    973.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190607_144118.jpg
    20190607_144118.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190607_144117.jpg
    20190607_144117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

A.Vazquez

San Antonio
This is the eye that isnt as open as much as the other. Will be looking into a vet this week or next. Looks as though it sees and smells well. Finds the food dish and water with ease (and excitement yesterday)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190607-151855_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190607-151855_Chrome.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 5

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Wow, I hate some pet stores. They have no idea and should not be allowed to sell torts. Welcome to the forum. Keep following the care sheet. Get things set right, he may just make it. Beautiful baby though. As for the eye, it almost looks like dry skin over it or it may be irritated from the sand or improper lights. Be careful if you do take him to the vets, they don’t always know how to care for torts ether, even the exotic vets. Don’t let them give him any vitamin shots. They can be more harmful then helpful. Babies can be overdosed on vitamins very easily.

A.Vazquez

San Antonio
Wow, I hate some pet stores. They have no idea and should not be allowed to sell torts. Welcome to the forum. Keep following the care sheet. Get things set right, he may just make it. Beautiful baby though. As for the eye, it almost looks like dry skin over it or it may be irritated from the sand or improper lights. Be careful if you do take him to the vets, they don’t always know how to care for torts ether, even the exotic vets. Don’t let them give him any vitamin shots. They can be more harmful then helpful. Babies can be overdosed on vitamins very easily.
Thank you!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Greetings! & welcome to the forum
If the vet does suggest a vitamin shot politely decline. If your tort does need any,water solubale bird vitamins from the pet store works great.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Congrats on your new baby! He/She is so cute! I am hoping to get one soon as well, so it was great to read all the info you posted about the things you have discovered since buying him. Thanks so much!

A.Vazquez

San Antonio
Congrats on your new baby! He/She is so cute! I am hoping to get one soon as well, so it was great to read all the info you posted about the things you have discovered since buying him. Thanks so much!
Sounds like you're already starting on the right path, contrary to mine lol.
All of the articles in forums are fantastic and FULL of very important information. I would reccomend finding a vet before you buy one. I'm having a difficult time finding one that has actually cared for sully's before. Also stay away from pet stores dont even bother going for supplies, it's all wrong :( I have noticed there are some experienced breeders here, you might consider buying from someone here. Best of luck! It's only been a few days and it's a HUGE responsibility but the little one brings me so much joy!

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Sounds like you're already starting on the right path, contrary to mine lol.
All of the articles in forums are fantastic and FULL of very important information. I would reccomend finding a vet before you buy one. I'm having a difficult time finding one that has actually cared for sully's before. Also stay away from pet stores dont even bother going for supplies, it's all wrong :( I have noticed there are some experienced breeders here, you might consider buying from someone here. Best of luck! It's only been a few days and it's a HUGE responsibility but the little one brings me so much joy!
Great idea. I live in a semi-resort area, so it would be wise to see if there are local vets that have any knowledge about sullys...or any other tortoises for that matter. Thanks for the info!