Introduction/Picking the Right First Tortoise

BradenB

Location (City and/or State)
Nunn, Colorado
Hello!! I am looking at getting my first tortoise, but am not sure which species will be best suited for my situation and the climate I live in. I live in north-eastern Colorado which can get very hot during the summers and can have cold winters. Humidity ranges greatly throughout the seasons. Space is not an issue as I live on my familie's 80 acre ranch which has plenty of buildings and space for even the largest tortoises, such as the aldabra or sulcata. I have been looking at sulcatas, red foots, russians, and leopards, but I don't know if one would fare better in my climate than another. I am open to other species as well if there is one that would be good for in my area. Species that are very friendly and inquisitive would be more fun to care for I think. I would love any input you have. Thank you for reading and any advice you can give me.

drew54

Indiana
I live in the frigid north in Indiana. I have a sulcata and a Russian. They both do well as long as I do my part in keeping their habitats tailored to their needs. Check out the care sheets in each of the species in the browse sections and choose which ones best fit. As hatchlings they will mostly be inside until large enough to live outside permanently.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Anyone can keep tortoises, no matter the species and no matter where on earth they live. It's just a little more costly for those in extremely cold climates. Don't forget, if you get a species that hibernates it really doesn't matter how cold the winter weather is. This thread may be helpful:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-species-should-i-get.123008/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Any of the species that stay relatively small and hibernate should do well in your area with a little help. Look into Russians, hrmanni, greeks, and marginata. You'll have to bring the tortoise inside one way or another during your winters, and it would not be easy to house a giant tropical species in a cold climate like that.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
I'm going to suggest greek, mostly because I am a new tortoise owner, with a greek, and they are superb. They are personable, and have a very classic storybook tortoise kind of look. They are a smaller species, who can be relocated inside for cold weather, but will certainly enjoy outside living. There are a lot of different subspecies, colourations and patterns to suit your needs and preferences. They are also very long lived, and some subspecies such as ibera are quite hardy!

This is my 11 week old baby:

20190617_112814.jpg

sc
I'm going to suggest greek, mostly because I am a new tortoise owner, with a greek, and they are superb. They are personable, and have a very classic storybook tortoise kind of look. They are a smaller species, who can be relocated inside for cold weather, but will certainly enjoy outside living. There are a lot of different subspecies, colourations and patterns to suit your needs and preferences. They are also very long lived, and some subspecies such as ibera are quite hardy!

That's a sulcat a tortoise not a Greek by the looks of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Great post @counting

Very good points, and your pic demonstrates that if someone likes the look of the sulcatas, there are other species that look somewhat similar but are much more manageable as far as size and housing.

Which subspecies is yours?

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Great post @counting

Very good points, and your pic demonstrates that if someone likes the look of the sulcatas, there are other species that look somewhat similar but are much more manageable as far as size and housing.

Which subspecies is yours?

Thanks :). Getting a greek was a very thought out decision, and these are a lot of the reasons I selected this species.
My baby is an intergrade(as are most greeks in Canada). Primarily suspected to be ibera/terrestris( but the jury is out- and there is possible soussensis in the mix). They have more of the "golden" colouration though.

Attachments

• 20190617_143001.jpg
    20190617_143001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks :). Getting a greek was a very thought out decision, and these are a lot of the reasons I selected this species.
My baby is an intergrade(as are most greeks in Canada). Primarily suspected to be ibera/terrestris( but the jury is out- and there is possible soussensis in the mix). They have more of the "golden" colouration though.
Gorgeous! I love your little "mini-sulcata". Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about Canadian greek tortoises.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Gorgeous! I love your little "mini-sulcata". Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about Canadian greek tortoises.
Thanks, I'm quite partial to this little guy ♡

Tortoise keeping in Canada is really different than in the US or UK. Because all tortoises need to be primarily kept indoors, the number of hobbyists and animals is much smaller. Long term keeping many animals is a more complex issue(tortoises are also about 4x or more the purchase price, which hopefully also minimizes impulse purchases- a petstore tortoise you would be looking at 700-800$ for a hatchling).Where I am(east coast) there are even fewer options in general. I feel lucky just to have located a healthy captive bred greek from a breeder!

Last edited:

6strings

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Hello!! I am looking at getting my first tortoise, but am not sure which species will be best suited for my situation and the climate I live in. I live in north-eastern Colorado which can get very hot during the summers and can have cold winters. Humidity ranges greatly throughout the seasons. Space is not an issue as I live on my familie's 80 acre ranch which has plenty of buildings and space for even the largest tortoises, such as the aldabra or sulcata. I have been looking at sulcatas, red foots, russians, and leopards, but I don't know if one would fare better in my climate than another. I am open to other species as well if there is one that would be good for in my area. Species that are very friendly and inquisitive would be more fun to care for I think. I would love any input you have. Thank you for reading and any advice you can give me.

Oh man, if I had an 80 acre ranch .. I'd have a Hermann's tortoise paddock, a Greek tortoise paddock, and a Russian tortoise paddock.. how fun would that be? Good luck with your choice. Don't let anyone influence you with subliminal messages Hermanns Greek Russian Hermanns Greek Russian Hermanns Greek Russian

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh man, if I had an 80 acre ranch .. I'd have a Hermann's tortoise paddock, a Greek tortoise paddock, and a Russian tortoise paddock.. how fun would that be? Good luck with your choice. Don't let anyone influence you with subliminal messages Hermanns Greek Russian Hermanns Greek Russian Hermanns Greek Russian
I can tell you first hand, when you get too many, it becomes a job. A chore. Not as fun. How many is too many? That will vary from person to person.

BradenB

Nunn, Colorado
Thank you everyone for your input! It definitely has given me more things to consider. I just recently came across someone that lives relatively close to me that breeds both leopard and sulcata tortoises. I have started talking to him about how he meets his animal’s needs with the erratic weather conditions our state can have. After seeing him care for leopards I have become more interested in them. I have only started talking with him, so I don’t yet know how well he cares for his animals, but I am hoping he cares for them correctly and can help me care for whichever species I decide on. I think I have decided on either a leopard or red foot. I have always been drawn towards red foots, but I am not sure how leopards compare temperament and personality wise. I am also not sure how different their care requirements are. I will be doing a lot more research, but any input you have is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you everyone for your input! It definitely has given me more things to consider. I just recently came across someone that lives relatively close to me that breeds both leopard and sulcata tortoises. I have started talking to him about how he meets his animal’s needs with the erratic weather conditions our state can have. After seeing him care for leopards I have become more interested in them. I have only started talking with him, so I don’t yet know how well he cares for his animals, but I am hoping he cares for them correctly and can help me care for whichever species I decide on. I think I have decided on either a leopard or red foot. I have always been drawn towards red foots, but I am not sure how leopards compare temperament and personality wise. I am also not sure how different their care requirements are. I will be doing a lot more research, but any input you have is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Leopards are great, but require a large enclosure as adults. They tolerate dry conditions well as adults, so outside time during warm weather is easy. Its the inside time during winter that will be troublesome. You'll need a room sized enclosure that is heated year round.

RFs tend to have great personalities, but they don't do well in dry climates. I don't keep them because it is too dry here. They do best in the warm humid southern states. They will also need a large, roomed sized heated enclosure for winter as adults, with the added challenge of needing high humidity in their room.

Most breeders do not start their tortoises correctly. Read this to see how it should be done, and so you'll know what questions to ask the breeder:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
Ask about incubation media, how often he soaks, if he uses a brooder box or leaves them in the incubator in their incubation media, what he feeds the hatchlings, how much time they spend outside, what substrate they are on...

Here's what you'll be dealing with if the breeder you've found uses the typical dry methods:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/