Introduction

Myroli

Hello everyone, I am a newbie to tortoises or any reptile/ chelonian tyoe animal, I will be getting my first one tomorrow, a sulcata baby, and before it gets here I want to make 100% certain i know the correct temperature and humidity levels. I looked it up and the most common was 80 degrees in the cooler part, at least 100 in the basking spot and humidity 85%. Is that right?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Hello everyone, I am a newbie to tortoises or any reptile/ chelonian tyoe animal, I will be getting my first one tomorrow, a sulcata baby, and before it gets here I want to make 100% certain i know the correct temperature and humidity levels. I looked it up and the most common was 80 degrees in the cooler part, at least 100 in the basking spot and humidity 85%. Is that right?

Welcome to TFO. Yes those are good temps and humidity levels. Please go to the sulcata section and read our in depth care sheets for them.

What type of substraight are you planning on using?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Good choice, so is orchard bark or cypress mulch. What type of UVB bulb are you using and what size is your enclosure?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
So far everything sounds good except the 20gal tank, that's a bit too small. Even a hatchling should be kept in minimum a 40gal breeder tank. A sulcata will out grow the 40 gallon tank in a matter of a month or two. Most of us use large rubber storage containers for the first few months then build them custom tables that are a bit larger.

Myroli

Oh, okaye, I guess some breeders aren't too good when it comes to correct info, huh? That's who suggested to me the 20 gallon tank, in one of the sections on their website :/

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Oh, okaye, I guess some breeders aren't too good when it comes to correct info, huh? That's who suggested to me the 20 gallon tank, in one of the sections on their website :/

Most breeders tell you a smaller tank is fine but the truth is that you should have a tank that has enough room for a hide, water dish, food dish, plants for cover AND room to walk around. Torts need to walk around to digest food. In the wild they walk miles a day. A 20 gallon tank won't even for all of the "furniture" you need let alone allow room to roam.

Myroli

What "furniture"? I have a hiding log and a water bowl deep enough to climb into but not drown and a food plate thingy, that's it.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
What "furniture"? I have a hiding log and a water bowl deep enough to climb into but not drown and a food plate thingy, that's it.
That is his/her furniture, plus the plants. It will survive in a 20gal tank but not flourish. Just like you can survive in a jail cell. The larger the space you can give it the better. Most people on this site recommend 40gal as a hatchling minimum and a 4'x8' enclosure for a juvenile.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! !

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
In a 20 gal tank you really can't get the 4 temps that well either. That little sully will grow a lot faster than you can imagine. And Welcome to the forum.

Myroli

Will walking outside help? I had already planned on trying to let him out everyday for at least an hour to walk around and stuff

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your tortoise will be much more contented and happy to be inside his habitat if he isn't allowed to know there's a big world outside his four walls. Once you've allowed a tortoise out to wander, whether outside or in the house, he's always going to be digging in the corners and wanting out.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a bigger habitat. You can get by pretty cheap in the plastic tub department.

Myroli

But won't he be healthier getting fresh air and some real sunlight? Plus I have to take him out to soak him everyday anyways, right?