Introduction

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I've had my little Moroccan spur-thighed tortoise for over 3 years now and she loves being outside or inside equally much. she never digs to go outside, though sometimes asks to come in if it's too hot. She seems to love the open air, but I soak her inside, just showers outside, both of which she enjoys. but I can't speak for sulcatas. welcome to the site, the people here are great, as you've already discovered.

Myroli

Yeah they're very nice and informative, though I'm gathering everyone has different opinions and ways of taking care of their tortoises which is interesting, I'm trying to decide which way I'm going to choose since all seem to be pretty successful :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yeah they're very nice and informative, though I'm gathering everyone has different opinions and ways of taking care of their tortoises which is interesting, I'm trying to decide which way I'm going to choose since all seem to be pretty successful :)
All any of can do is tell you what works for us in our particular climate. It's up to you to do some trial and error to see what works best for you.

There are certain things that you just can't argue with, like temps and humidity. Have fun setting your stuff up and be sure to post lots of pictures.

Myroli

I can't seem to get my humidity level any higher than 75%, any suggestions to get it that last 10%? Or is 75 good enough?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I can't seem to get my humidity level any higher than 75%, any suggestions to get it that last 10%? Or is 75 good enough?
It would be good enough if you can keep it at a constant 75 day and night. My bet is that it's 75 for only a short time, then it drops down. A closed chamber is the way to go. All you have to do to your tank is add tin foil over the top to trap the heat and humidity in.

Myroli

Wouldn't that be a fire hazard with the heat lamp and uvb light? If not, I will definitely be doing that tomorrow :)

Myroli

I can't do the foil till we get suction cups w/hooks to have the uvb light on the inside of the tank. And I've noticed the humidity goes up more at night when the heat lamp and uvb are off

Myroli

He's not moving very much...I just soaked him and he's still not really moving, any ideas? It had gotten pretty hot in there then he buried himself about half way.

Myroli

Nevermind he's better, I think he went into aestivation from getting too hot

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Pics of the little one? What are your temps right now? Try not to handle him/her to much right now.

Myroli

Temp is 80 degrees and I have only messed with him when he arrived abd then to soak him b/c he wasn't moving so I was trying to make sure he was still alive. I don't know how to upload pics :(