Introduction

Myroli

So far everything sounds good except the 20gal tank, that's a bit too small. Even a hatchling should be kept in minimum a 40gal breeder tank. A sulcata will out grow the 40 gallon tank in a matter of a month or two. Most of us use large rubber storage containers for the first few months then build them custom tables that are a bit larger.
I've had him for about 2 months now and he hasn't gotten any bigger, but otherwise he is acting healthy,(he is still only about 2 1/2 inches at about 5months old) should he be bigger?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I've had him for about 2 months now and he hasn't gotten any bigger, but otherwise he is acting healthy,(he is still only about 2 1/2 inches at about 5months old) should he be bigger?
Yes, lack of growth is a sign of a dry start. Have you been weighing it to know for a fact it's not gained any weight or are you just assuming it's not any bigger because it looks the same size?

Myroli

I haven't weighed him but I have measured his shell size and it hasn't gotten any bigger

Myroli

This is him the day i got him

Attachments

• 1430666392247.jpg
    1430666392247.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 17

Myroli

This is him today

Attachments

• 1430666483967.jpg
    1430666483967.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 17

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum. You'll like it here and get a lot of help. ;) At the same time, please be ready to receive conflicting information. Don't allow it to confuse you.

Good luck.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Myroli, welcome and if you so your best to follow the care sheets and advice you should have a happy healthy tort for a long time. Is he still in the small tank or did you get the bigger one as suggested?

Myroli

He is still in the smaller one for now but I'll be moving him into one of those giant plastic storage containers soon, it will be about 5 or 6 feet long and about 2 or 3 feet wide so hopefully that will be big enough for a year or 2, I've heard from a couple sully owners here where I live that their 5 year old is only about 8 inches long but idk

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I bet he'll love that with some plants to hide among too - torty paradise!

Myroli

Is anyone else's tort as obsessed with 3 leaf clover as my Ki is right now? I swear every time I take him outside, no matter which part of the yard I start him in, he immediately finds a clump of clover and has to take at least one bite before starting to walk around lol

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Is anyone else's tort as obsessed with 3 leaf clover as my Ki is right now? I swear every time I take him outside, no matter which part of the yard I start him in, he immediately finds a clump of clover and has to take at least one bite before starting to walk around lol
Watch out for some species of clover if your tortoise eats to much of a some species of clover that have high oxalis including spinach their mouth will become irritated

Myroli

Okaye, thanks, idk what kind it is but I'll try not to let him eat too much now, and I had heard spinach was bad for them so he's no longer allowed to have any

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have a look www.thetortoisetable.org.uk as a guide to what is safe or not to feed torts. It tells you which parts of the plants are OK and has pics to ID plants. I have found it very useful.

Myroli

I actually have already looked but so many of the plants look so similar, especially the different types of cacti, so I only use it if someone who knows plants is around to point them out to me, but thanks for the suggestion ;)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes I have the same problem so tend to stick to plants I know until I'm more confident
There is a website/app that Leigti told me about called Garden Compass and you can send them a photo and they will ID plants for you, I haven't used it yet but another member said it took a couple of weeks for a response but if you just want ID for future reference then could be good.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are you using those in addition to his greens? I've seen it suggested that new foods are introduced gradually with foods they like, so maybe soak pellets and spread on his leaves a little at a time, but as you probably already know, whatever weeds/plants that are recommended for your species should form main diet, the care sheet for my tort has loads of ideas and I try to follow that as best I can.