Introduction

Myroli

Are you using those in addition to his greens? I've seen it suggested that new foods are introduced gradually with foods they like, so maybe soak pellets and spread on his leaves a little at a time, but as you probably already know, whatever weeds/plants that are recommended for your species should form main diet, the care sheet for my tort has loads of ideas and I try to follow that as best I can.
Yeah he gets mainly grass/weeds from my yard but someone told me they NEED the pellet food too, but whenever I try feeding it to him(i've always mixed it in with something else) he eats the stuff it's mixed with after it's dried iut again so it just falls off :/

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I've not heard anyone on here say that they need pellets - tried some with my leopard when I first got him as was totally ignorant of all things torty and a pet shop recommended them (just to add to their profits) but he turned his nose up and not bothered since I found out more about diet etc. Just dust with calcium occasionally and maybe once a week a pinch of Nutrabol, but no pellets. Lola will only eat grass if he can graze it himself so all winter I have been using a blender to grind Readigrass so I can sprinkle it onto wet food to keep his fibre intake up. It's worked OK but he still won't eat it on its own and he will pick out the bits he likes from a mixed 'salad' of weeds etc - very picky!

Myroli

Yeah Ki will pick out clover and the other weeds first before eating the grass

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Pellet food is a supplement for when they don't get everything they need in their diet, in the winter, for example, if they're not hibernating and greens are in short supply, or you don't have the right greens or what-not at hand.
I do use pellets, just in case and when Tidgy opens her mouth to eat something else, i'll pop one in.
She loves the smell, but doesn't like them dry.
She'll eat them moist, sometimes.