Introduction

Thomass

Hello everyone!

My name is Thomas and I'm 20 years old and currently finishing my 4 years education towards becoming a laboratory analyst! I'm actually as lucky that I most likely will be able to start a job at my internship.
I live with my girlfriend who is 25 years old and we are about to move into a bigger home which will be near my job. There we will dedicate a specific room for our future turtle.
Recently a distant family member has decided to get rid of her leopard tortoise and we are very eager to take it.

We already looked in to caring for one alot and we spoke to a few people who have been keeping turtles for a long time. One of them told us (from the picture we showed him) that it's a pardalis babcocki.
I hope I introduced enough and any tips towards caring for our turtle are very welcome.
So far our plan is to put sand (not sure yet) on the floor and spread out some big branches and rocks around the area for him to fiddle with. Also we will put a big rock water bowl in. And in one of the corners of the room we will put a shelter for him to relax in.
We will put a heat and UV lamp in and if there is not enough light coming through the windows we will create more light.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Thomas:

Welcome to the Forum!

It looks like this tortoise has been living outside. He's not going to be happy living indoors, and it will be a pretty stressful change for him.

The best waterer is a large plant saucer, not those big snake/lizard things they sell in the pet stores. Those are unsafe for tortoises because of their steep sides. Tortoises trying to climb out sometimes overbalance (because they don't bend) and tip over backwards in the water and drown.

I'm going to poo poo your sand idea too. Sand causes impaction when it sticks to the food and they eat it. You can avoid this by making sure the tortoise is very well hydrated, or by not using sand. My substrate of choice is small bit orchid bark (of course, if you make a safe and secure outdoor pen/yard, there is no need for substrate).

There are two kinds of UVB lights for you to choose from:

The Mercury Vapor Bulb (Heat and UVB all in the same bulb):

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

and the tube type fluorescent (5 or 10 doesn't matter):

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO BUYING THESE:

CFL.jpg

OR

2292_383f613313b57afe1c60952250fdaafb7b7b786d_original_x_323_1326984246.jpg

These bulbs are known to have caused painful eye problems in tortoises.

Of course, if you set the tortoise up outside in a safe and secure outdoor yard you won't need lights/heat!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome ! ! ! !

Thomass

Hi Thomas:

... lights/heat!

These reactions are very usefull. Actually this turtle has been kept inside, the video was made by its current owner on a hot day where he was allowed outside.

The lamp on the top picture (the 160W combi lamp) is exactly which we had in mind to buy so that's good :).
And the tube one we will keep in mind if necessary.
And thanks alot for the warning! This is the type of stuff you don't hear from local pet shops and stuff like that.

Btw does the turtle look like a pardalis babcocki to you? We are not completely sure and neither is the current owner unfortunately.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, most likely a babcock.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Thomas:

Welcome to the Forum!

It looks like this tortoise has been living outside. He's not going to be happy living indoors, and it will be a pretty stressful change for him.

The best waterer is a large plant saucer, not those big snake/lizard things they sell in the pet stores. Those are unsafe for tortoises because of their steep sides. Tortoises trying to climb out sometimes overbalance (because they don't bend) and tip over backwards in the water and drown.

I'm going to poo poo your sand idea too. Sand causes impaction when it sticks to the food and they eat it. You can avoid this by making sure the tortoise is very well hydrated, or by not using sand. My substrate of choice is small bit orchid bark (of course, if you make a safe and secure outdoor pen/yard, there is no need for substrate).

There are two kinds of UVB lights for you to choose from:

The Mercury Vapor Bulb (Heat and UVB all in the same bulb):

View attachment 126354

and the tube type fluorescent (5 or 10 doesn't matter):

View attachment 126356

DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO BUYING THESE:

View attachment 126357

OR

2292_383f613313b57afe1c60952250fdaafb7b7b786d_original_x_323_1326984246.jpg

These bulbs are known to have caused painful eye problems in tortoises.

Of course, if you set the tortoise up outside in a safe and secure outdoor yard you won't need lights/heat!
I've been raising leopards for over 14 years and everything I would have said is here . But you will enjoy leopard , I do !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Thomas and welcome to the forum.
I've always gone for the older woman too!
Have a read of the care sheets and information on this site and don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions at all.
And be proud to be part of the worldwide network of tortoise lovers.