Introduction

tiffers5229

Location (City and/or State)
Edmonds, WA
Hi! My name is Tiffany and I just got my first White Russian Tortoise. He came from a friend who has had Tortoises for several years. He no longer wanted this particular Tortoise because he is a male and he was under the impression he had all females (he has 4 torts). The male kept picking on the females and the females were laying eggs. The Tortoise is 7 years old. I have had him only 5 days and he has very inactive since I got him and has not eaten yet. Wondering if he is just adapting to his new environment or if I should be concerned?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tiffany, and welcome to the Forum!

Your tortoise is what we commonly refer to as a "Russian Tortoise." There's no 'white' in the name. His official name is Testudo horsefieldii.

Tortoises are territorial. He's upset that he's been taken from his territory. After a few days he should come to realize he's safe and settle in. No need for concern just yet. Give him a week or so.

If the previous owner got the tortoise from a pet store, then more than likely he's older than 7 years.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello and welcome! He'll warm up in a few days, just getting used to his new home!