Introduction

EMC

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi, I'm Emma and I just got my first baby star (c.3-4 months old). So far so good, but still gathering info on food and substrate ( I had a starter kit from the breeder, so have some learning time)
So far, plenty of eating and pooping going on and will sit in the palm of my hand and eat happily and he's only been home a week.
I'm having a dig through the other threads now for info, but if there are any do's and don'ts on the tip of your tongue then please do share!!

Attachments

• DSC_3344.JPG
    DSC_3344.JPG
    839.2 KB · Views: 22

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi, I'm Emma and I just got my first baby star (c.3-4 months old). So far so good, but still gathering info on food and substrate ( I had a starter kit from the breeder, so have some learning time)
So far, plenty of eating and pooping going on and will sit in the palm of my hand and eat happily and he's only been home a week.
I'm having a dig through the other threads now for info, but if there are any do's and don'ts on the tip of your tongue then please do share!!
Welcome, Emma! Beautiful star tortoise!

You have come to the right place to get all your questions answered by experience keepers as well as simply to talk tortoises and share experiences and pictures. Would love to see more pictures and some pictures of the enclosure you have set up with the breeders "starter kit".

Here's a link to a care sheet I did to pass on some of the thing I learned in keeping stars. Please read this and come back with any questions.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

Reactions: EMC

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Emma!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Hello and welcome. Care for these guys is the same as it is, or should be, for sulcata and leopards. Check these out for more info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Soak your baby daily and keep the enclosure warm and humid 24/7.

EMC

UK
Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome! I've attached a pic of my starting point, I've still got to get some vegetation in there, so would welcome your suggestions. I do have a heat lamp and uv strip light, just not visible in the pic.
I'm soaking daily and letting him have a wander around the lounge, we keep a very warm house, so he's out for about 15 mins at a time. I know there's quite a bit written about them being shy, but I'm finding him quite bold and inquisitive.
I'm guessing that I'll have to think about a bigger home move in the coming months?

Attachments

• DSC_3364.JPG
    DSC_3364.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 7