Introduction

ram1162003

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
Hi my name is Rebekah and I inherited a Russian tortoise as a class pet. I knew very little about her but I’m learning more every day. Her name is April and she is 16 years old. She had a recent vet visit and the vet said she is totally healthy and she had her beak trimmed. Thanks for letting me join! IMG_6423.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus

ram1162003

Atlanta, GA
Hello and welcome!

This (lengthy!) post will help you with all aspects of tortoise care: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ It's definitely worth reading to ensure the best life for this tortoise :)

As a quick suggestion - replace water dish with a terracotta saucer, large enough for tortoise to get into. They need to be well hydrated to stay healthy.
Thank you! I’ve tried multiple water dishes and she will not go near the water. I bathe her once or twice a week and she hates it but I know she needs it.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you! I’ve tried multiple water dishes and she will not go near the water. I bathe her once or twice a week and she hates it but I know she needs it.
Hello and welcome!🐢💚 definitely still offer fresh water daily in a terracotta saucer. Lol yeah a lot are fussy come soak time, but it’s ok, makes good exercise😊

It looks like she’s going to need an enclosure upgrade as soon as you can(if that’s her habitat in the photo) so I think you’ll find this thread I made a good read! It covers correct equipment(very easy to have the wrong bulbs so definitely double check), levels, sizing, substrates, appropriately maintaining humidity(not that these guys need it high), there’s lots of visual examples for everything and a great diet link to check out!🙂

This one is also good to familiarise with, it’ll help you avoid the wrong bulbs, substrates, housing etc, I also encourage you to double check purchases here before you buy!

Hope this helps! Any further questions, please ask away🥰

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
has she lived her whole life in that glass tank? Hopefully you'll be willing to give her the life she deserves, unfortunately that is not a healthy or good way to keep a tortoise, though unfortunately many schools do that way.