Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgekathe

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is George, married to Kathe, hence my name on this site.

I'm in process of buying a male Hermann's, having researched a lot (5 books from the library & the two well reviewd ones just on Hermann's hopefully coming from somewhere else in country via library) + everything I could read on Hermann's on internet.

I live in Western Colorado, USA, ln the high desert, but originally am from London via Essex, England where I grew up with two Greeks, both of which my sisters still have at ripe age of 60+, both my sisters & the Torts! So I am used to having Torts around.

I have set up an outdoor enclosure & will winter/hibernate him in my garage in suitable insulated container - gets down to mid 30s F inside garage.

Will need to also keep him indoors occasionally, in newly built indoor enclosure, as weather can get warm here in late winter, enough to wake him up, before getting cold again for odd days when it would be too cold to keep him outdoors.

Cannot get Cypress mulch in town for substrate - I know it's ideal - & don't want expense of shipping. Plenty of Cedar mulch here in CO but I know it is toxic. Thinking of using organic potting soil. As I am avid gardener have plenty, always on hand. Brand name Happy Frog. It has small white pieces in it - Perlite.

Question - is this a problem?

Will be posting on regular part of forum for Hermann's later, but would appreciate answer now on substrate issue. Do not want to use Alfalfa pellets as heard it is not ideal. Don't want garden soil due to possible contaminates.

great forum - plowing my way through all entries on Hermann's, as it is only 50 odd F today so cannot go outdoors - typical weather here - in 2 days it will be 70+ F!

thanks in advance for response.

George (&Kathe)

John

5 Year Member
hello and welcome. The torts will eat the perlite, are they hatchlings?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello George welcome to the TFO:) I would not use that soil if it has perlite in it I would look arounn for some organic soil with out perlite E Bay some times has cypress mulch 24qt for I think $21 free shipping

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Your hibernation plan and indoor/outdoor housing all sounds great to me. For substrate, look into orchid bark and coco coir. If there are any reptile shows near you, you might be able to stock up on some cypress mulch too. Alternatively, I found this one at Lowes. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Substrate--13520#axzz1L89JOpUU

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi George (and Kathe):

Welcome to the forum!!

georgekathe

5 Year Member
Tom - thanks for great response! Will check to see if Lowes here sells it (I know from past experience of non-Tort related purchases not all big box stores in a chain stocl same items - can be geographical variations, I guess.

To answer another response - no, it is not a hatchling - been over 20 years since I came in contact with a Tort, so don't want to buy a hatchling - also don't want to risk it with freight. Mine will bes an adult, around 4"-5," around 3 years old I think, online from nearest location to me I can find, to minimize shipping times. Tortoise Supply ex Vegas. They are very reasonable price wise. Although I plan on feeding him greens & dandelions, etc - my house is next door to an abandoned house so have lots of dandelions in my yard - I will buy some Mazuri (sp?) for additions, as well as Calcium & Vitamin supplements.

Think I'm just about set, just waiting for unseasonable coldish days/nights to finish.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, sound like you have a great plan in place..

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :).
I have 2 Hermann tortoises and the substrate I use since I cant finf organic cypress mulch is aspen bedding and my tortoises really like it :).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome! You have me curious, what brings you from England to Colorado? (that is, if it's not being too snoopy, which I am. :p :D

georgekathe

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
:D Welcome! You have me curious, what brings you from England to Colorado? (that is, if it's not being too snoopy, which I am. :p :D

No, I'm not offended & don't think your being too snoopy.

I married a Micihgander, who I met in Ann Arbor, MI, after visiting her Brother who I employed in a book store chain in London 25 years ago. She came to visit me in London for an extended period of time, & we got married & I moved to MI USA. Things did not work out & I eventually visited a friend in Grand Junction in the high desert (4,500 feet).

I loved the hot dry summers after the Midwest's humidity and returning in December found it to have much much milder winters than MI, so I moved & a few years later met a Denver womasn living in Grand Junction & we eventually married - hence I live in Grand Junction.

I did not buy a Hermann's as planned as at the last minute Kathe saw a Red Foot on Craiglists, for sale with complete set up only 8 miles from Grand Junction in an adjoining town. I am super happy and super excited. See my new post in the Red Foot section of the forum.

All for now - now to research more on Red Foots! George

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome to the Forum. I am a newbie on this forum too and am learning so much. Today I tried to buy the Cypress mulch at Home Depot and they didn't carry it here in their AZ store. I'm going to try Lowe's.

Status
Not open for further replies.