Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

River14

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. I live in the balmy subtropics of Hong Kong, Im from South Africa. Incredibly and luckily I managed to get a lovely house right in the middle of the mountain national park.

This is where my three dogs, fish and giant monitor lizard (wild) are resident plus the comings and goings of various wild life. Now two tiny little Indian Star tortoises have joined the team.

I have kept a few reptile species for varying lengths of time, all local species. My recent project was "Gekko Ghecko" I had about 30 of them which I released around this neck of the woods as they had become extinct in this area due to collection for medicine. If only they wouldn't call so happily and loudly to each other from the trees they might just take off as a breeding population.

I have absolutely no experience with tortoises, closest I came was when an endangered bigheaded turtle suddenly arrived in the garden. I took her back to the nearest stream. She had obviously taken a wrong turn and headed for my reservoir (open water storage, huge concrete swimming pool pond). And seeing many wild ones in Africa, which of course I have watched keenly.

All i know thus is what I have read and observed in the wild of African species. Its a mayhem of conflicting opinion out there with surprisingly very little research into wild African and Indian tortoises.

So Im hoping to get opinions and valued experience from members here. So far I am very grateful to the forum. Although dont understand fully why but that protein is not such a problem but humidity is for hatchlings proper development. Mine live outside in 80-90 humidity so I feel a big sigh of relief. Thanks :shy:

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
You got that right! :D I don't have any fancy or expensive torties, I do enjoy looking at them! I have 5 CDT's. You should post some pictures, we love pictures!!!

River14

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone.

I will try TM to get some pictures they so very cute.

Right at the moment they have eaten early morning (two hibiscus flowers six hibiscus leaves (baby leaves) and some very early (before I can get up) morning timothy hay with marigold and dandelion. The last is Chinchilla hay. Then they sunbathed and now collapsed in the shade on some tree fern blocks.

Honestly I thought they slept in their carapace but these seem to rest their heads on their sides on the ground and sleep, twitching a little flipper ever once and awhile like they are dreaming............its so cute just watching them sleeping!!! I cant believe.

Its very hot now about 95.5f and 1 in the afternoon, they went down at about 11.30 and are still sleeping. They awake at about four pm for another feed, thats a lot of sleeping, but I suppose hatchlings need it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi River14:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

River14

5 Year Member
Yes you may Yvonne, its Anthony, River14 is the name of my garden as we are fourteen springs/rivers along our road to home.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
Wow it sounds like a nice little garden spot you go there, I personally would love to see some pics of your area if you ever get the time.

River14

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Welcome
Wow it sounds like a nice little garden spot you go there, I personally would love to see some pics of your area if you ever get the time.

Hey its not a matter of time but equipment. I have phone with camera but I forget how to connect my phone to my computer. it involves removing my sim cd and sticking it into an adaptor but now I find I cant find the adaptor etc etc.........

Why is life so complex.

I will explain I /we live in the middle of a sub tropical dry wet season/ hot humid dry cool forest. Its about 5km to the main road through dense and sometimes permanent rain forest, depending on proximity to the many little rivers and springs. In here there are many interesting reptiles amphibians like Burmese python to tiny little salamander like things. King cobra amongst many snake species love our area as do all manner of birds and mammals.

Add to this mayhem are two little Indian Star tortoises. They dont even look like one another.

On has black stripes on its legs and the other just yellow like legs the other has black head and the other just brown, both have the same pattern on the carapace but one is blackish and the other yellowish.

But most strikingly one the blackish one has white spotted legs and pink/white neck the other has yellow neck and legs?

Im thinking maybe Sri Lanka variant and Indian but who knows. Anyway they are both happy so far as hatchlings go.

I love them to bits. I have very quickly picked up their rhythm, it wasn't easy I must say as they are so tiny hatchling but they have a routine and I follow it most carefully.

Both are fast asleep at 6 51 pm, under a pile of hay. This evening they ate an ockra each some hibiscus leaves and now are completely pooped. A large storm is coming. :shy:

Its going tobe along humid night. Just as well Wimbledon mens finals is on at 9pm. :D

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Welcome! Recently been to Hong Kong, nice place but very crowded. :D
But I'm guessing you live on one of the Islands? Those are very nice and green. :)
Would love to see pics of your stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.