Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator_girl76

5 Year Member
My introduction is a bit of a sad one, however hopefully a new beginning. I was the Mommy of a wild caught Yellowfoot tortoise. Before I get too far, I did not purchase this tortoise. The owner was unable to care for him, so I was kind of "stuck" with him. Don't get me wrong, I loved the lil dude. His name was Fluffy. I had to relocate from Orlando FL to Rochester NY, and he was my co captain while driving. He kept me company, and although he didn't say much, just having him there was awesome. Life was very turbulent back then, however him there, no matter where I was it felt like home. Now, in NY he couldn't be outside most of the time, so a kiddie pool was purchased as his temporary home until I could find something more suitable. This was two years in the making, but finally designed and have been working on a custom made tortoise table. Around 90% through completion (only trim work to go) he escaped his fenced in area and most likely headed into the woods that are located behind our home. I and 5 others made a search party but sadly, he was never located.
I feel the time is right for getting another tortoise, as life without one just isn't the same. Fluffy can never be replaced, but a new story will be opening with another tortoise shortly. This time, I hope to get to post and share stories with others that are like minded and don't look at me like I forgot to take meds. (Not everyone are keen on tortoises apparently)

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering - I am currently looking for a redfoot or yellowfoot as the cage is kind of custom to the breed. Looks don't matter to me - ever. I'm all about personality. ;) I am known to extremely spoil my animals and if you ever visited my home, you would probably be amazed at the things I do for them. They're my babies! Tortoises are no exceptions.

After my rambling now, it's nice to join and be a part of people as Torti-Crazy as me. :p

Alana

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Alana:

I know what you mean when you say, "...don't look at me like I forgot to take my meds..." I get it all the time too.

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I'm so sorry that you lost Fluffy. We can only hope that someone who cares enough about tortoises to do research, found him and is giving him a good home!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to crazytown ( :p ) I am sorry to hear about your buddy taking off....I bet he is fine, although you are left to miss him..... I wish you luck on your tortoise search and they are awesome ..

moochie

5 Year Member
My introduction is a bit of a sad one, however hopefully a new beginning. I was the Mommy of a wild caught Yellowfoot tortoise. <clip>

Welcome to the forum! One way to look at it is that Fluffy is off on a big adventure... kinda like PeeWee! ;)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Ok, you guys just put my mind at ease about the crazy part. My sister literally stopped in her tracks and stared at me when I told her I would have to meet her later. I had to go home, feed and put my tortoises away for the night.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will fit quite well. Good luck on your new "buddy" search. There are many breeders and owners of Redfoots and some Yellowfoots as well.

gator_girl76

5 Year Member
Thank you for the warm welcome guys! :) I'll keep you posted when I get the new guy/girl.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
LOL, I totally get it too. My niece told me a couple week ago " There is something wrong with you" I don't know why she was not interested in what my boxies and gecko eat( worms) and how I am now trying to raise my own mill worms.

Welcome Alana :) You are in the right place!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits.
I am just curious did you happen to put up flyers or anything? you never know someone may find "fluffy"

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Welcome! I love when people see the picture of my tortoise on my cell phone and go "What is that?!?".

And speaking of crazy...how many times are you asked if you have to find new shells for your tortoise when they out grow the one they are in....and they think we're crazy?

gator_girl76

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits.
I am just curious did you happen to put up flyers or anything? you never know someone may find "fluffy"

Hi dmmj! Not only did I have signs made from old political advertisements (There's not many poles around here), I had an ad out and even was looking into the extreme as far as see if I could get a scent tracking dog person to help. The local K-9 police unit didn't respond to my inquiry (Hey, I was desperate) and the company that I could find that COULD do it was out in California. Bah!

MalKC said:
Welcome! I love when people see the picture of my tortoise on my cell phone and go "What is that?!?".

And speaking of crazy...how many times are you asked if you have to find new shells for your tortoise when they out grow the one they are in....and they think we're crazy?

You know, amazingly I have never had anyone ask that. That is just awesome. Hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.