introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacipii

5 Year Member
Hello my name is Staci I have a red footed tortoise named Sheldon. He is my first ever reptile so im not sure im doing every thing right. I live in Maine so he can't really go outside all the time. He lives in a 50gallon tank which i hope to upgrade to a legitimate tortoise table this summer. Well if there is any advice or things to look oit for id love to hear it! Anything to make my tortoise happier :)[/align]

Attachments

• 20121021_100521.jpg
    20121021_100521.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 40

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) hopefully next summer you have an outdoor enclosure for him. Even is its just for the day hours. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello, and welcome to the Forum, Staci!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

When it's time to upgrade, think about a closed chamber instead of an open topped table. It is easy to maintain good conditions for a redfoot in a closed chamber, very difficult in an open topped table.

stacipii

5 Year Member
I use cypress mulch. Someone at petco told me it would hold moisture better and wouls help prevent bugs. Speaking of moisture i am having a horribly hard time keeping his home moist enough! I squirt him every few hours but that doesnt seem to be helping. Any suggestions?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hi and welcome. There are a lot of experienced red foot owners here. And that's why Tom's talking about closed chamber, that will help you to increase and maintain the moisture well.

I don't know about cypress mulch, but many of us using coco peat mixed with sphagnum moss to increase moisture, or coco peat alone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.