Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

mriaby

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone! :tort:
A very Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

My name is Mridula and I live in IL, USA.

My husband and I are the proud owners of a 2 month old Greek Turtle, Zeus. My husband got him as a birthday present and we got him home on Nov 8th, 2012.

We have set up his habitat in a 10 gallon tank (I know this is small and we are going to give him a bigger habitat soon)

We have used,
(1) Zoo-Med Forest Floor bedding Cypress Mulch
(2) Fresh clean water tray for him to soak
(3) Half log for hiding
(4) 5.0 - 26W Repti Glo UVB Lamp - This is on for atleast 12 hours everyday
(5) Infrared heat lamp
(6) Temperature between 75 - 90 degrees (We use a thermometer to measure)
(7) Humidity between 30 - 50
(8) Have coverd the glass tank with poster as we realised that Turtles do not understand "glass" and keep hitting their heads
(9) Food - We give him Romain, Collard Lettuce, Turnip Greens, Carrots, grass, NAtural Grassland tortoise food pellets along with REPTI CALCICUM with D3

Since the time he cam home, he has been very active running around in his habitat, eating twice a day and pooping twice a day.

I am not sure if this is normal (I think otherwise) but he has stopped eating anything for the last 2 days and has become very inactive.
He is sleeping 24x7 for the last 2 days.
I have not noticed any sympotoms of soft shell, puffy eyes etc.,

We even took him to a vet this morning and since it is thanksgiving could not find a reptil vet.

We are really worried about him. Please let us know if something is wrong with him.

Thank You,
Mridula

Attachments

• 2012-11-12_21-08-07_2.jpg
    2012-11-12_21-08-07_2.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2012-11-12_21-05-56_567.jpg
    2012-11-12_21-05-56_567.jpg
    967.3 KB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

1. Do you ever soak him in a tub of warm water with tall sides that he can't climb out of?
2. Is your repti-glo one of those coil type bulbs? If yes, those can damage their eyes and should not be used. The long tube types are fine.
3. What is your basking temp and how cool does it get at night?

It could simply be the time of year. The shorter days and cooler temps make temperate species, like yours, want to hibernate. You could try warming things up a bit during the day and leaving the lights on for 13-14 hours a day to make his body think its still summer.

You really need a bigger enclosure and a humid hide box. They sell large plastic tubs at any hardware store for $20-40. You can usually find large christmas tree storage bins this time of year. If you prefer glass, (I do) then get at least a 60 or a 100 gallon tank. That will last him a little while longer until he starts getting closer to adulthood.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
5.0 - 26W Repti Glo UVB Lamp - This is on for atleast 12 hours everyday

Is this one of those curly type bulbs? I believe it is. If so, I would turn that off for a few days (but leave the heat bulb on) --you say you are using the red bulb for only source of heat--right? Also, I would plan on replacing that style of bulb with either a long tube uva/uvb bulb that will work along with the heat bulb..or some folks run a ceramic heat emitter (a bit pricey but I mentioned in the event you are not familiar with this option as well, I have used the red heat /infrared bulbs myself as well as the black light bulb for heat and I like the black light bulbs a bit better over the red/infrared ones)

I also would reconsider the substrate you are using---I would use a more soil like material (coco coir or peat moss) vs the wood type stuff that shows to be in your torts enclosure---I just don't like the thought of a baby consuming that wood stuff and possibly creating a rip or choking event within the tort...again, my personal preference :D

What a cute little one by the way....

arotester

5 Year Member
you should think again about using wood chippings many here don't consider it a good substrate

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
arotester said:
you should think again about using wood chippings many here don't consider it a good substrate

No, its ok. The kind that Mridula is using is what I usually recommend.

Hi Mridula, and welcome to the Forum!!

We hear this so often...brought the baby home...was running around active and eating...now just sits there.

I wish I knew a standard answer for everyone with this question. What it boils down to is your husbandry. Its either too hot or too cool for the baby. Its either too dry or too moist for the baby. Its either too bright or not bright enough for the baby.

I suggest you re-read the Greek tortoise care sheet and make sure you're doing everything you're supposed to be doing for a BABY greek tortoise. Here's a good place for you to start, but remember, you're looking for the care for a BABY, not for a full grown Greek:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Basicmedcare.htm

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Have you changed anything and if so, is there any change in his behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.