TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Tina Marie said:
Tina Marie said:
Hi, I am now the proud 'momma' of two little cherry head redfoots - Olive and Cosmo - I received Thursday morning -(Allegra's little hatchlings) well, I am truly in awe - they are the most adorable little things - with personality - I have determined both snubbed their nose at a piece of strawberry, but loved a mushroom slice. I took them out for a little bit - under a tree -

Hi Tina:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!

Taby_01

5 Year Member

Hi! So as of today, we have a new family member and I need as much support as possible! We got a Russian Tort from Petsmart and I walked away shaking my head when they told me he/she is only a month old!? I'm guessing at 3-4 inches across and 4-5 in in length, I'll get more specifics tomorrow. I've been reading up on the basics and just want to give our new addition a good start...my boys have named "him" Vector :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Taby_01 said:
Hi! So as of today, we have a new family member and I need as much support as possible! We got a Russian Tort from Petsmart and I walked away shaking my head when they told me he/she is only a month old!? I'm guessing at 3-4 inches across and 4-5 in in length, I'll get more specifics tomorrow. I've been reading up on the basics and just want to give our new addition a good start...my boys have named "him" Vector :)

Hi Taby_01:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

At 4 or 5 inches in a straight line from front to back (that's how you measure tortoises) you new baby is probably a young adult...maybe 6 or 8 years old. (Or a little younger)

May we know your name and where you are?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Taby_01 said:

Hello and welcome to the forum..

Taby_01

5 Year Member

Hi Taby_01:

At 4 or 5 inches in a straight line from front to back (that's how you measure tortoises) you new baby is probably a young adult...maybe 6 or 8 years old. (Or a little younger)

May we know your name and where you are?
[/quote]

My name is Jen and we are currently in VA. Thanks, I'll be sure to try to get correct measurements and even pictures! I'm very excited at our new addition! :D

Ok, out of excitement, I took Yvonne's measuring tips and had to go measure. 4.5 inches (just bottom shell) front to back and 3.5 inches (bottom shell again) from side to side. The tail alone, curved and a good inch, a boy?

Jen in VA

Zooceptionist

5 Year Member
British Columbia Canada

Hey Hey Hey,
My Name is Meg, and I work at an exotic animals rescue (they call me the Zooceptionist, we have lots of turtles and tortoises here, most of our staff are volunteers and I often have questions about Tortoise related issues so I thought I would make use of this fantastic forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Taby_01 said:

Hi Jen! Welcome to not only the forum, but to the great world of tortoises! :D

Keenjoy

5 Year Member
Just north of reality, NY

Hi, my name is KJ I have one tortoise a K.erosa. I actually inherited it when i was refurbishing an apartment. The previous owners had abandoned it and a ferret.

The ferret got adopted but the tortoise stayed with me. I already ave a male red eared slider turtle and thought "Hey I am vegetarian, how hard can it be?"

People say these tortoise are shy, hide a lot etc. My tortoise must not have got that memo. He chirps at us to be let out to "take a walk about" he routinely chirps and follows the dog around. He tries to move things around in the house and appears to enjoy pushing around plastic cat balls with bells inside.

He enjoys sunbathing in the window, watermelon (sparingly) and mushrooms (only cremini and Oyster)

I am still needing to build him a bigger pen. As of now he lives in a christmas tree storage box.

KJ

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi KJ:

Welcome to the forum!!

We have a few hingeback-keepers here on the forum. You're in good company!

May we know where you are?

I love those Christmas tree storage bins. I have a couple of them, but only one in use right now. Baby Texas tortoises in it.

Keenjoy

5 Year Member
Just north of reality, NY

I am in Upstate NY. My tortie was a rescue from an abandoned apartment. He WAS up for adoption but every person who I went and did a home visit with had ZERO idea on how to keep a tortoise and NO idea how long they lived. Everyone kept saying "Just give him to the zoo!" But they have ONE indoor hot house and already have a sulcata who would bully him. besides, honestly...I like the guy but if my partner asks, NO ONE wanted him *wink*

maggi

5 Year Member

hya i am a newie,and have 2 gorgeous russian tortoises will post pics later,nice to find a site with all your tortoise questions answered ...

ninjaturtle

5 Year Member

Hi my name is kate
I have wanted a sulcata for as long as I can remember! My previous job had us moving states frequently and then came the kids. Well today I was blessed with two little ones that someone had bought for their children and their kids have lost interest already! These are small they fit in the palm of my hand!!!! I went out got a uv light heat light tank ect and a couple hundred dollars later they are moved in hehe! I am thankful I came across this site!! Now for the questions....(I have ordered 5 books from amazon but that will be a few day...overkill Im sure hehe) how warm should their tank be? should I leave the lights on 24/7? I gave them greens but I heard you are not suposted to give them that everyday. I heard no fruit but I see on youtube people feeding tomatos all the time....help!!! I am already in love and dont want to hurt them:)

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 11

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Kate:

Your daughter is very cute.

May we know where you are?

Keep you eye on that little one on the right. He may have been blinking as to snapped the picture, but if he keeps his eyes shut a lot of the time, there's something wrong with him. The eyes should be bright and beady.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California

Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but I'm awful at introductory posts, so I decided against adding a whole topic to introduce myself...:p
I used to own a Russian Tortoise (male- his name was George), but it was quite literally stolen from me. It broke my heart as I had had him for about 6 years. For quite sometime, I refused to entertain the idea of keeping another tortoise (I still cannot see myself purchasing a Russian tort, as I honestly cannot fathom being able to replace George...), but a few years back I absolutely fell in love with Cherryheads.
Fast forward to today, and I am currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of my baby Cherryhead! :D

Sorry for the wall of text! I hope to post more soon- I know I'm at least learning quite a bit. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.