introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Welcome to the forum aimee. Looking forward to seeing pics of luie and hearing his stories.

luieluiehus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Northern Cali

thanks for the warm welcome :D I live in california
I just joined and i already love this site ive never done anything like it. its crazy how much ive leared and how much information is on here
i am very happy to have found it

sunkissed

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hi my name is Elisa and I live in Austin, TX. I have a 12 year old Desert Tortoise, I breed bearded dragons, have snakes, collard lizards, frogs, 2 dogs, and 1 cat. I've always loved tortoises and would love another desert tortoise. The weather here in Austin is perfect for them.

Elisa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

(Sunkissed) Elisa, welcome to the forum.

Dodgersguy310

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Torrance

Hi i saw this add in craigslist and I am completely new to raising tortoises , I have 2 sulcata tortoises black beard and little foot. I got them from a guy off craigslist actually who breeds them. I only know what ive read so far from researching on the internet for them , and so far so good. Im looking foward to hopefully getting advice and learning more from the experienced people on here. I live in southern california near the beach in LA. As for my tortoises the guy said they were 1 month old when i got them and that is 5 days shy of 2 months, so 3 months old. I was curious if anyone knew the growth rate of these tortoises...... thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Dodgersguy and welcome to the forum!

Yvonne

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.

Welcome to Tortoiseforum Dodgerguy. Be patient, that's why we all have turts and torts for our pets, they teach us how to slow down and enjoy nature around us more in this fast pace world we live in. I'm sure you will find many answers for your questions here with the experiences of many torts lovers and keepers. Again Welcome.

Minh

temper13

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

New here from Arizona- Just bought 2 baby sulcata tortoises yestarday.

The guy sold me male and female based on incubation temparture. Is this possible?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to the forum Dodgersguy310 and temper13
Yes typically males are incubated at a lower temp than females.
But sometimes you get surprised :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

temper13 said:
New here from Arizona- Just bought 2 baby sulcata tortoises yestarday.

The guy sold me male and female based on incubation temparture. Is this possible?

Welcome to the forum, Temper13! Tortoise sex is determined by the incubation temperature, but its not 100% certain. We can hopefully incubate for male, female, or some of each, but sometimes mother nature or our incubator makes the decision for us. You're just gonna' love your new babies. Let us know if we can be of any help to you.

Yvonne

mapping

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hi. I'm Angie. I found out about this forum on Craig's List. I have three Sulcatas. Two three-year old Sulcatas that I had since they were six months old. Not sure of the sex. One six-year-old female Sulcata I just bought last week. I live in West Los Angeles. I grew up with Desert Tortoises. I am an animal lover. I also have a standard poodle who loves checking out the Sulcatas and their food.

I hope to learn a lot from this forum.

Angie

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Leslie said:
Hi Dodgersguy310, temper13 and Angie and Welcome to TF! Great to meet more Sulcata owners.

Hey, she used the line I was gonna use. *pouts* :D :D Oh well, it doesn't matter who writes what, what matters most is you all know your welcome, so.....

Welcome!!!

Interesting that all of you are new sulcata owners. Hope to get the chance to know all of you much better...and your little shelled ones. :)

Pogle 66

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

I'm Pogle 66, with my 10 year old son, I care for 2 Greek spur thighed tortoises, 4 years old, who have been rescued from an inappropriate home, where they were fed tinned dog food
we are reading up on how to help their recovery best, but hope to get lots of good advice from people who keep tortoises

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Pogle 66 said:
I'm Pogle 66, with my 10 year old son, I care for 2 Greek spur thighed tortoises, 4 years old, who have been rescued from an inappropriate home, where they were fed tinned dog food
we are reading up on how to help their recovery best, but hope to get lots of good advice from people who keep tortoises

Hi Pogle: You and your son are welcome additions to our little family here on the forum. Please be sure to read our section on Greek tortoises. There's a wealth of info there for you. Poor little tortoises! It may take you a while to wean them off of tinned dog food and onto a good diet. But don't give up. It can be done.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to the forum Angie and Pogle and son. :)
Looking forward to seeing pics of your shelled ones and hearing of their adventures.

Pogle 66

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

thanks for the welcome
Shelley and Lambogrhini seem to have plenty of energy but very small appetites
they eat a few weeds, but can happily ignore food
they are outdoors in the day and in at night
diet of weeds and cuttle fish
constant access to shallow dish of water
baths every couple of days
should I worry that they eat so little?

thanks

Pogle 66 said:

Hi Pogle: You and your son are welcome additions to our little family here on the forum. Please be sure to read our section on Greek tortoises. There's a wealth of info there for you. Poor little tortoises! It may take you a while to wean them off of tinned dog food and onto a good diet. But don't give up. It can be done.

Yvonne
[/quote]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Pogle 66 said:
Shelley and Lambogrhini seem to have plenty of energy but very small appetites
they eat a few weeds, but can happily ignore food
should I worry that they eat so little?
thanks

You probably should post this "eating" question on the Greek forum, or a food forum, so that more folks who keep Greeks have the opportunity to help you. I don't know anything about the Greek tortoise.

Yvonne

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Iluvmydoxy said:
I found this website from a posting on Craigslist.com. I am in the Denver area... Parker, Colorado. So excited to be here.
I have a 7 year old African Spurred Tortoise, Bam Bam (33 lbs) that is my buddy and I adore. It is getting a little cool here at night, so he is going to come inside today for the winter. We have a good relationship and I am looking forward to a long, long lifetime with him.
Thanks for the invite. Debbie

Hello,

Welcome to TFO!! Glad you found us.. Your sully is very cute, How long have you had him?? Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Debbie: I love your forehead light!! Makes it easy to see a "dug-in" sulcata and use two hands to get him out, huh? Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few Sulcata keepers here and we're glad to have you as a new family member.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.