Invisible poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
My 2 juvenile CDTs live outside on dirt, with an underground burrow we dug that has a concrete roof covered by dirt. I literally have never seen any poop in the 6 weeks we've had them. Is it cause it blends in with the dirt? Are they doing it in their hide? I soak them a couple times a week and they never poop in the bath. I feed them grasses, weeds, greens, cactus pads and the occasional shredded zucchini. They're pretty active, climbing and romping around the enclosure. Would I know if they were having some digestion problem? Is tort poop invisible? Seriously, what does it look like? (I have seen them pee. Quite a thrill).

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Daisy's is dark brown and is like little pellets almost... But longer sometimes... (awkward post...)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The first possibility is that they are eating their poop. It may sound disgusting, but it is very common and nothing to worry about.

You may not be spotting it.

If your tort is otherwise well, eating and drinking, don't worry too much. Just remember that torts need fiber and water, just like you do, for healthy poop. So if you are at all concerned, do a daily 20 minute soak... many torts will poop I the bath water, so then you know it's happening.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
thatrebecca said:
Is it cause it blends in with the dirt?
This is a possibility.

thatrebecca said:
Are they doing it in their hide?
Torts often poop in their hides, so yes, maybe.

thatrebecca said:
I soak them a couple times a week and they never poop in the bath.
Nothing to worry about. Torts don't always poop when they soak.

thatrebecca said:
I feed them grasses, weeds, greens, cactus pads and the occasional shredded zucchini.
Sounds like a great diet. Cactus pads are a mild laxative, so if anything will make them poop, these will.

thatrebecca said:
They're pretty active, climbing and romping around the enclosure. Would I know if they were having some digestion problem? Is tort poop invisible? Seriously, what does it look like? (I have seen them pee. Quite a thrill).

Healthy tort poop should be solid nuggets (i.e. not watery) and range in color from medium green to dark brownish black. If he has digestive troubes, he may show other signs, such as lethargy. If he's active, eating, drinking, and growing regularly, I wouldn't worry.

Joesmum is right. Sometimes they just eat it. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What a wonderful discussion:p I agree with all of what Shelly said. I've seen my share of poop, and I walk the perimeter of their enclosure and every 10" or so, I'm scooping up poop like clockwork. As they get bigger, you'll be glad that they are pooping in their tunnels cause the size of those poops are like horses.

Lunartwist

5 Year Member
I never see poop in Viola's enclosure except if its in her water dish/soaking tub. Other than that, she eats it. Gross, but I suppose it makes cleaning easier for me!

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
:p
Do not read this thread while eating anything mushy and dark brown.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It's easy for poop and pee to get covered over by substrate. It's probably there, but you won't see it unless you look for it by turning over the substrate.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Hahahaha!! Thank you, poop experts. You have allayed my concerns. (I almost asked for photos, but thought better of it). :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I just wanted to report back the exciting news that I finally saw my first tort poop. It's the exact same color as their outdoor enclosure substrate, which is why I was missing it. But this morning they stayed inside after their soaks cause it was chilly and--Ta Da--left me a present. My life is now complete.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Invisible poop?

thatrebecca said:
I just wanted to report back the exciting news that I finally saw my first tort poop. It's the exact same color as their outdoor enclosure substrate, which is why I was missing it. But this morning they stayed inside after their soaks cause it was chilly and--Ta Da--left me a present. My life is now complete.

Welcome to tortoise keeping... it sure affects the brain :D

lkwagner

5 Year Member
If you had sulcatas you'd forsure see the poop! My 2 year old poops bigger than my yorkie! Few more years it will be pooping like a cow!

Glad you found it tho lol

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
JoesMum said:
thatrebecca said:

Welcome to tortoise keeping... it sure affects the brain :D

This is quickly becoming clear to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.