Involuntary new tortoise mother in need of advice

Hydrangea

Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
Hi,

I found myself in the sudden possession of a tortoise today when I noticed one outside my home, plodding along the side of the street, in danger of getting hit by a car. I understand it's generally not a good idea to pick up wildlife, but this is an urban area and people on the roads aren't generally looking out for small, low-to-the-ground creatures, so it seemed that this poor thing was in considerable danger if I didn't intervene. I picked it up and moved it to a walled yard not very far from where I had found it, put it in a shady area, and left it some lettuce leaves and a shallow dish of water (it hasn't seem very interested in either yet). It seems healthy (except for some possible shell damage near one of the back legs??) and alert and walked around quite briskly for a while before settling down, so I don't think I have any major health concerns to address.

I'm really not a tortoise person at all but from my hasty googling it seems to be a desert tortoise. I'm in northern Mexico so it seems like it could be native. However, I don't think it's wild -- or if it is, something happened to it, because there's no empty / natural space nearby. I don't think it could have (or would have) walked this far into an urban area by itself. It could be an escaped pet but I don't know of any possible owners nearby so it could take a while to find its home if that is the case -- which leads me to my question.

Does anyone have any advice to keep a (possibly wild, possibly escaped pet) desert tortoise comfortable and safe until it can be returned to its proper home? I can't bring it indoors because of my dog (who seems more afraid of it than anything, but I'd rather not take any chances). I also don't have any tortoise equipment whatsoever. Is a few leaves of lettuce, some water, and a spacious yard enough? I read that they like to burrow, should I dig a hole for it or something -- or is it better to let it do that by itself?

Also, as it's evening right now, are there any special precautions I should take to keep it safe from predators (?) at night?

I apologise if something like this has been answered before, I searched and didn't find anything particularly similar.
Also, I apologise if this belongs somewhere else! It is my introductory post here, but I'm new to this forum and not really sure how things work, so I'm sorry if this isn't where this belongs!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!! I just want this little friend to be happy until he can be rehomed :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't let it eat on your yard if you have used fertilizers or pesticides within the last six months.
If that is good then try to give him a box too sleep in at night and to use as a hide. As long as your days and nights are warm he won't need extra heating. A better food if you don't have weeds in your yard would be mustard and collard greens, endive, ridicchio, dandelion, hibiscus flower and leaf and other items you can find on this link http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Hydrangea

Mexico
Don't let it eat on your yard if you have used fertilizers or pesticides within the last six months.
If that is good then try to give him a box too sleep in at night and to use as a hide. As long as your days and nights are warm he won't need extra heating. A better food if you don't have weeds in your yard would be mustard and collard greens, endive, ridicchio, dandelion, hibiscus flower and leaf and other items you can find on this link http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Thank you so much!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome! May we please see pictures of the animal so we can be sure to give you the correct info on taking care of it?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome! So much care information is based on getting a good ID of the kind of tortoise we are talking about. Photos will be needed.